Computer Speakers? Pro Media? Altec?

Orange Peel

How much do you have to spend? If moneys not a problem, go for the promedia 5.1s, unless you're scared that they'll break...in that case id get the refurb 4.1s, cheaper and just as good as new 4.1s. I wouldn't really consider altech as a choice if you really want quality...the next step down from klipsch id say Logitechs...

Hmm...im not sure if they work for dolby digital, but they arent digital speakers...they're analog. As for their sound....its GREAT. My friend owns a pair of refurbs (he got them after hearing my 5.1s 9.gif ) and I'd have to say they sound almost as good as my 5.1s...the only fault in them id have to say is the volume knob, as it GREATLY increases the loudness as you turn it up, making it hard to switch volumes with ease. Though, that can be solved by using the volume controll on your computer keyboard, or from your sb live platinum remote (it has one doesnt it?)

I think I'd definitely go with the 4.1's. I've had the ProMedia 5.1's for only a year and a half, and I've been through 4 sets already. Yeah they're good sounding PC speakers but are they really worth the hassle ? I don't think so. Although the Customer Support people are great, it's better not to get into that mess at all.

matt

Great, thanks for the info. I will probably go with the 4.1's then. It's pricey to get some digital speakers now adays, you're better off getting the Quintets and getting a receiver to use them. No biggie though, not like it's that big of a difference between the analog and digital, not enough to justify another $150 right 2.gif

I've mildly thought of three options:

1. ProMedia

2. hooking my old BA A60's up to my old sony receiver and placing them on either side of my desk with the PC connected to the receiver--I did this for a couple months and it sounds great (I listened to music while working on the PC)

3. Hooking up a HTPC to my HT.

My son plays PS2 games on my HT today.

Hey Scott,

Congratulations on the RF7's, the anticipation must be killing you! How's the new house coming along, are you in yet?

In the interest of full disclosure, I know nothing of computer speakers. But, that's never stopped me before. 9.gif How about the new Klipsch ProMedia GMX D-5.1 that they're pushing here on the forum? It's brand new so I doubt that's the one people are having problems with it breaking.

On the subject of analog vs. 'digital' speakers. Digital speakers are nothing more than a gimick IMHO. All that is going on is that you are sending a digital line out to the speakers, where it is sent to the on-board DAC and converted to analog. So unless the DAC on your sound card sucks, and you are looking for a better one, just go with analog speakers (sound cards with AWESOME DAC's can often be had for less than the $150 difference between the analog and digital speakers).

Tri - Yeah the wait is a killer, but I waited 3 months already, 1 week isn't gonna bother me........ yeah right, I WANT THEM! I've been using 3.1 for months now and I want some surrounds again!!!! The house is done, I've been in it since 12-30-02, and it's wonderful. I've been waiting until the RF-7 stuff arrives before I take pics and whatnot. So hopefully soon you will see the finished result!

DB - Thanks dude, my sound card is a decent one, so I don't think it will make any difference then from digital to analoog, I'll just get the 4.1 and be done.

----------------

On 2/11/2003 8:00:21 PM Orange Peel wrote:

Tri - Yeah the wait is a killer, but I waited 3 months already, 1 week isn't gonna bother me........ yeah right, I WANT THEM! I've been using 3.1 for months now and I want some surrounds again!!!! The house is done, I've been in it since 12-30-02, and it's wonderful. I've been waiting until the RF-7 stuff arrives before I take pics and whatnot. So hopefully soon you will see the finished result!

----------------

Ah yes, welcome to the wonderful world of home-ownership and hopefully very soon, RF-7 ownership 9.gif. I actually have been waiting anxiously for your reaction when you first hookup and hear those '7s 11.gif. This ought to be fun!

----------------

DB - Thanks dude, my sound card is a decent one, so I don't think it will make any difference then from digital to analoog, I'll just get the 4.1 and be done.

----------------

Good choice, unless your really, really want full 5.1, but currently, there still are not very many games out there that does full 5.1 surround, and with your nice HT setup, you most likelty will be watching DVDs there, not at the PC. Hell, the latest version of the Audigy can do 6.1, but only creative labs actually have a set of 6.1 computer speakers that I have seen thus far (there may be others, but I am currently not aware of them).

Me, I am still plugging away with my trusty ol' set of ProMedias V2.400s that I had for the past 3 years or so. I really have no reason to upgrade, unless they go on the fritz. If that happens, I may go get a pair of cheap stereo amps (one for the front, one for the rear - whatever I can dig up at yard sales/thrift stores/ebay) and some decent bookshelf speakers (Used SB-2s or something similer - perhaps also score 4 KG2.2s ala Tresspasser_Guy) for the next upgrade in computer audio. I would also recycle the YST-SW40 subwoofer from my Yamaha HT setup.

That may be a good idea for you there Orange Peel - just get a couple decent stereo amps and two pairs of matching bookshelf speakers on the used market, and perhaps even a cheap, but decent subwoofer. You would have an audio setup for your PC that would most likely be superior to anything Altec Lansing, et al have available. With a little shopping around, you probably could do it pretty cheaply.

Thanks Steven, I'm enjoying the new house, nice and quiet out in the boonies where I live 1.gif As for the RF-7's, I will be posting my reaction the day I hook them up, if I can pull myself away from them long enough 9.gif And I assure it will be a "truthful" reaction full of great detail. 2.gif

I have thought of just making my own PC system, I will have a set of RF-3's left over to use I guess, hehe 11.gif Now that would be a killer PC setup eh? RF-3's for mains, use the RC-3 for the center and pick up some bookshelves for surrounds, and a nice HK AVR 125 for the receiver, ahhhh, that would be wonderful. 1.gif

----------------

On 2/11/2003 8:00:21 PM Orange Peel wrote:

----------------

Looking forward to your reactions and pictures. I like your idea of the RF3/RC3 system, although that probably will stand out a bit around your computer desk. :)

I think the new Promedia system is available for purchase right now? Or did you mean you would have to wait because of the expense?

http://store.klipsch.com/details.asp?ProdID=46

Yeah the RF-3's are taller than my PC desk, but who cares right? 3.gif

I know I want to sell the RC-3, but it's REALLY hard to bring myself to sell the RF-3's, they have a little sentimental value, my first Klipsch speakers and all. We'll see.

I want to get something cheap, that's why the 4.1's are in my mind, I would get the refurbs too, even cheaper9.gif

As for my earlier post, I was referring to digital speakers for stereo or 4.1. I have seen stereo digital speakers, which to me is a complete waste of money. I will say that if you want nice DD5.1 and DTS decoding, digital speakers are a viable option. Sorry I forgot to include that in my other post. hehehe.