Receiver Selection??? Which to get?

Juba310

Hello, by June, I will have purchased a pair of RF-3II's and either a RC-3II or a SVS subwoofer. Im wondering...what reciever should I get that would complement these speakers the best? I will doing around 65% music, 35% movies. My budget is anything below 400 dollars, but the cheaper the better...as long as it doesnt sacrifice sound quality to a noticable amount. I was thinking of a H/K AVR-125, but im open to suggestions.

Thanks,

-Ted

If you want the best 2-channel sound and are willing to use just a 2-channel product and watch movies in phantom mode then ask your question on the 2-channel board and you will get great advice in the used maret ranging from under $100 to $500 and beyond.

I run an Outlaw 1050 which is readily available under a transferable warranty for $375 (+shipping) used...see outlawaudio.com and their forum. I think the 1050 shines in sound and has all the features I need but some newer ones are missing (Dolby PL II for TV sound, phono stage would need to be added external, their 6.1 DSP is proprietary vs EX).

My perception is that the Denon 1803 has all the newer features but isn't quite as strong as the 1050 is sound...The 1050 has been compared to the 3802 (in sound...not features) by a mag review I read.

Regardless of the AVR, I don't think I would stray from this price range and dip down to the new 5.1 DTS AVRs in $200 range.

For 65% music I might also think about delaying the SVS sub and putting that money towards bigger mains (ie RF7's) which would be plenty for music....I've been turning the sub off when auditioning RF7's (maybe because the movie demos have the sub cranked...the SVS could probably be tuned to change my mind).

I've been thinking about the concept of buying a HT in stages over say 2 years vs all at once. The idea being that I will be willing to spend more in the long run.

The other idea is to have NOS (Craig) from the 2-channel board restore and modify a nice integrated Scott tube amp for 2-channel and then watch movies in phantom mode with the Scott and two RF7's. This would be awesome music! You could add a sub $500 AVR and big center channel speaker later followed by surrounds and then a sub.

Just some various ideas to consider.