my custom center (to match my KG5.5s)

STL

my_center_enclosure.jpg

The enclosure is built, but I still need to finish it so it looks as good as my KG5.5s! The horn is a K-85-K (same as the KG5.5) and the woofers are 6.5" K-1075-SVs (used in the original SF-1 and SF-2). The 4 woofers should move the same amount of air as the two 10" woofers in each KG5.5, and the 6.5" cones should produce slightly tighter bass and better midrange. I elected to go with four 1.5" flared ports for the venting, and it's tuned to about 38Hz (which is very close to what SF-1s are tuned to). The front motherboard is angled 10 degrees down since this will be place above my 55" Mits. I'll post more pictures once it is fully complete.

I don't know how it sounds yet! :( The speakers were just put there for the picture. I want to get the unit fully complete before installing any of the drivers. That way I will stay motivated to get it all done! :)

I also forgot to mention that I used 3/4" MDF and did a lot of internal bracing too. I have six braces (one between each speaker) on the motherboard and two more on the rear panel. I was going to use a double thick motherboard on the front but decided the bracing would be just as effective (and make the enclosure weigh less).

I am first going to try the "stock" KG4.2 crossover, but I suspect I will be modding it at least a little. Theoretically by putting two of the K-1075-SV drivers in series (and the other two in series) then puting each series-pair in parallel, I should get roughly the same impedance as the K-1001-K woofer that came with the KG4.2 (so the KG4.2 crossover as-is should work decently).

While comparing the crossover of the KG5.5 and KG4.2 I did see some differences that don't really make sense. For the HP section I'll just change the KG4.2 to match the KG5.5 (since the tweeters are the same), but it might take a little re-engineering on the LP section. Time to get out the frequency generator...

I have to give a big thanks to Trey Cannon for chatting with me about this very subject yesterday.