Age of my La Scalas?

Bernie Lenti

I've recently purchased a pair of La Scalas and was wondering exactly how old they are. Their serial numbers are 8642663 and 8642647(or maybe A7)? They have the square magnet on the K-77's but mine don't say K-77M as I've read in other posts. Are they the same as the K-77M? I also wanted to know about the crossovers. They are the AL model which I've read here are not known as "the good ones". Which would be a better model and what would that better model do towards creating better sound? If I can improve their sound, and that seems hard to believe since they sound so good already, I will. I already own an Electro Voice Georgian and a Patrician IV, so I can appreciate listening to the best sound possible. Thanks for all your input. This is a very helpful and informative site. Bernie

You should change to the type AA, ALK or Type AL-3 networks. the choice is pretty much yours and depends on whether you think the oil-filled motor-start capacitors sound better than the newer Hovland/Solen caps. I like my Type AA with Hovland caps as well as the ALKs.

Thanks to both of you for the info. I had a pair of La Scalas that I sold last summer that had the AA crossovers in them. I should never have sold them. I missed them so much I bought this pair I have now. I thought I noticed a difference in sound but thought it must have been my imagination. Who knows, maybe it is, but I'm pretty convinced after what I've read on this forum that I could get better sound upgrading and getting rid of the ALs.

I have a set of factory AA's available for sale. I believe they're early models. I've used them in a pair of DIY La Scala's, as far as I know they have no issues. I built a set of Al K's, I'm sticking with them.

Email at tmoble@earthlink.net if you're interested. I'll see if I can get a picture of them.

Tom

Bernie ,you have newer lascalla,s .pre 81,s had k55v mids old or newer lascalla,s are hard to beat for there sound.l have 2 lascala,s & 6 herey,s ll l like them all l have owned the lascala model since 78, l would like to own k horns as soon as l can find a mint set.the tweeters you are testing do they have round mag, sounds like there k-77,s.let me which one is better.