Surrounds for Chorus IIs ??

BigSkyAF

I've had my Chorus IIs for a few years and am now trying to build an HT system around them--I'm pretty new to all of this. I've looked through the forum on advice for surrounds and am not much closer to a decision. It looks like quite a few folks recommend full range surrounds. I'm pretty open. (music = 50%, video = 50%) Any suggestions?

I currently have a KSF-C5 center and no sub (am seriously considering an RSW-10).

I appreciate your input. Thanks!

- Yamaha DSP A1 Amp

- Yamaha DVD S700

- Yamaha CDC 765

- Bose 401s currently in the rear (left over from old system)

-- Will give these to my brother when I get new rear surrounds

- Room = 15' x 20'

Doug has it right. 4 more Chorus II would be awesome. As one who uses the "5 to 7 identical mains approach" to home theater, there is nothing like having full sized, timbre matched mains all around to give you "better than theater" sound. The importance of a full range center cannot be understated - three identical mains across the front yields excellent panning and realism. The center should be as robust as your two mains, since up to 75% of multichannel sound for music and movies comes through the center channel.

If space is a problem, Heresys would work well as rears - but absolutely try to get a Chorus II at center. Your ears will thank you!

• 2 weeks later...

Six Chorus would indeed be awsome. Inappropriate and unnecessary, but awsome. IMHO, of course.

I would suggest RS-7's for surround; two, three or four, depending on your receiver's outputs. Surround speakers are supposed to disappear into the acoustic, to the point that you can't pinpoint their location at all, even with hard-panned effects. This will be very hard to achieve with Chorus or even Heresy loudspeakers, due to the relatively narrow radiation pattern of the mid and tweeter horns.

But as always, whatever floats your own particular boat!1.gif

BigSky-

Certainly Doug and the others have good points about getting two more pairs of Chorus IIs. If you have slightly less room, go for a pair of Forte IIs for surrounds, or Quartets. These speakers are part of a well-loved, but under-appreciated trilogy. If you need bookshelf speakers, my initial system was the pair of Forte IIs with two pairs of KG 1.2s for surrounds and back center. They matched up quite will with the Fortes.

As far as front center, if you can find an Academy, that will make a great match, and since it is small enough to fit on a TV, you don't have to worry about the big speaker like a Chorus or Forte up front. Then again, you can modify one of the biggies like folks have done here, so that it is horizontal. For sub, go for an SVS, or maybe a used PW2200, as that is a great sub, and did well in my system until I got my SVS. Lots to think about, but you have a great start with the Chorus IIs.

Keith,

The RS-7's are doing a great job with the "big ol' horns" in front! They really pull the music off the front wall and wrap it around you, like you were in a larger space. Yet, they don't muddy up the clarity and imaging of the front channels, either. I couldn't be more pleased with them. Compared to the big Infinity SM-120's that I first used for surround, the RS's are much, much more sonically invisible; You don't hear speakers, you just hear a wave of sound from that general direction. Since I use them for music only, and with a passive decoder at that, I can't really say how they would sound with movies or SACD and DVD-A, that place sounds "hard" in the surround channels, but judging from their ample bass (relatively speaking) and high sensitivity, I think they will be fine. Besides, I could always send deep bass to a sub or to the cornerhorns.

Glad to hear that you are happy with the RS-7's James. What you describe is pretty much what I hear (and presently miss) using my S-6's. I run 4- KSP300's in the corners with a C-6 center and the S-6's. When I first listened to the S-6's with music, I didn't care for the sound. I would listen to music and turn 'on' the S-6's and then listen with them turned 'off'. After a short while I began to enjoy the sound that seemed to "surround" me, as I had the S-6's mounted high on my rear walls. They seemed to give a little 'fill' and the mids/hi's complemented the 'warmer' Synergy sound. With the newer DTS DVD's and DVD-Audio the sound is simply unbelievable. To use my friend's words, "I didn't know music could sound like that". I'm sold on the rear combo myself.

I was wondering how those RS's would work with your Heritage. And now I know. Thanks!

Keith