la scala to khorn

jheinze

I have two la scalas and want to "transform" them into khorns.

(... i can get two bass parts of the khorns...)

Is it right that the K3E, K55M, K77M are used in both (la scala and khorn)?

Is the crossover from the la scala ok for the khorns ?

Thanks and greetings from Nuernberg, Germany

Jochen

The la scala and the klipschorn do use the same drivers, but the crossover between the woofer to the midrange is a bit different. On new ones it is 450hz for the k-horn and 400hz for the la scala. On the previous models, the k-horns was 400hz, but I am not sure where the la scala's was. I think it may have been the same, or else slightly higher (500-600hz).

Hopefully, John Albright will see this thread and offer you some info. He is a big la scala fan and is much more knowledgable about them than I.

Your plan sounds plausible to me - good luck!1.gif

Jochen,

The other drivers are M series so you should try and get a K-33M for the bass box. You have an opportunity to get an ALK klipschorn crossover which is better than the one provided by Klipsch. The website to get the ALK crossover is alkeng.com, or ask for Al here at this forum. He monitors this website on a regular basis. The crossovers cost about $500 for both.

Wow, Jim,

How did you get Type AL crossovers in K-horns?

The components of a La Scala are the same as the K-horn (K-33-E, K-400 horn, K-55-V/K-55-M, and K-77/K-77-M). There was never a K-33-M woofer, though there were varients like the K-33-B and -P. For most of their lives they used the same crossovers, too. The Type A and Type AA (with crossover points of 400 and 6000 Hz) were used in both from sometime in the late '50s/early '60s until 1982. In '82 the Type AL/AK was used and that lasted until later in the 80s (after '87) The primary difference was the Type AK was split in two parts. The crossover points were still 400 and 6000. There was an AK-2 for a short time and then the AK-3. There was an AL-3, but I'm not sure there was an AL-2, though you'd think there was. There are some important differences between the AK-3/AL-3 crossovers, regarding the woofer filters, aimed at smoothing the response of each bass horn. The 2002 and later K-horns and La Scalas have Type AK-4/AL-4. We haven't seen the schematics, yet, but the parts quality is better and the autoformer is gone. The crossover points have been changed to better use the new drivers.

Now that you know how to build a clock, the components in your La Scalas will be perfect in a K-horn, even the crossover. Should you have a Type AL, trash it, or use it as parts for a Type AA or ALK. If you need schematics, several of us have them.