Painting cabinets

Just purchased a pair of Klipsch Heresy II's. Got a really good deal on them, all the drivers are in perfect working condition,  I will probably do a recap on them anyway. The grills are perfect with no tears or picks. The cabinets has some minor scratches on them, but no gouges whatsoever,  I'm wanting to paint the cabinet with a fresh coat of black paint as this is their color. Is there any special paint I should use, and will painting the cabinets hurt the performance any at all. Any special things I should do, or consider. Thanks for any info.

Greetings!

I own a pair of 1977 Klipschorns that I bought used.

They are the "decorators" model, so they did not have a cabinet on the top to enclose the tweeter and the midrange.

So one of my first projects was to add a "riser" and build a "top hat" enclosure.

Then I bought some cans of "ultra flat black" spray paint and went outside and painted them on a day that wasn't too windy.

I did not the paint getting on anything else and I wanted to keep dust, pollen, etc from collecting onto the wet cabinets.

(You might want to use a glossier paint? IDK)

Finally I bought some black Klipsch grill cloth for the top hat and fabricated side panels with grills.

Looks pretty good if I say so myself.

As long as you don't get any paint on the tweeters, midranges or woofers re-painting your Heresy's won't do them any harm.

I would suggest the following:

1) Try sanding them down as black speakers are simply ugly compared to nice wood.  Either seal them if you like the natural wood as it is, or stain them with a finish you like and do a matte poly finish.  If the sanding doesn't turn out well for you, go to option #2

2) Paint them.  I've used simple Rust-oleum flat back with a roller.  It gives a nice little textured finish.  Then, seal with a matte poly.

3) Use a fun textured spray on them and do something different.  I've used the stone spray paint on several refinish projects in the past with decent results.

4 hours ago, Robbie CW said:

Just purchased a pair of Klipsch Heresy II's. Got a really good deal on them, all the drivers are in perfect working condition,  I will probably do a recap on them anyway. The grills are perfect with no tears or picks. The cabinets has some minor scratches on them, but no gouges whatsoever,  I'm wanting to paint the cabinet with a fresh coat of black paint as this is their color. Is there any special paint I should use, and will painting the cabinets hurt the performance any at all. Any special things I should do, or consider. Thanks for any info.

I always find it funny how many people post in this forum section despite the sticky near the top in all caps:

https://community.klipsch.com/index.php?/topic/196239-please-read-before-posting-here/

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, Robbie CW said:

Is there any special paint I should use, and will painting the cabinets hurt the performance any at all.

Lacquer spray paint usually works well for this application. First, learn the best techniques and make sure to practice on something else. If you mask off all the parts that should not get painted, the sonic performance will not be affected.

12 hours ago, wuzzzer said:

I always find it funny how many people post in this forum section despite the sticky near the top in all caps:

https://community.klipsch.com/index.php?/topic/196239-please-read-before-posting-here/

This has been going on for ages. If we can't get an administrator to fix the forum to reduce the chances, maybe the best we can do is to help the newbies with an easy answer.

• Like 1