Help w/ break ins for Rf-3 II , Rc-3 II, Rsw10

legend9

Hi all, I just upgraded my home theater speakers from POLKAUDIO to Klipsch. I tested the Klipsch at Tweeter, and oh man, what difference they sound from POLK. I will never go back to POLK again. Anyway, I need your advice on breaking in the Reference 3 series 2 towers, along with the RC-3 and RSW10 as well. I have no idea what should I do to make these speakers last and sound the best. Please give me your advice. Thanks

Last ?! They will most likely be handed down to your grandkids, if they are not seriously mistreated. The woofers have rubber surrounds that will not break down when exposed to sunlight and ozone, like many others. The best sound, well they do sound great, but you may have to experiment on positioning and toe-in etc. to find what you like. As the RF3II's are rear ported, they do require setting them out from the wall a bit, 12-18 inches is a good start. If your seating distance is 8-10 feet, then for starters, set the mains the same distance apart, and go from there. Aa for placement of the subwoofer, try different places in the room to see what it sounds like. I would start in or near one corner of the room. Turn the sub crossover to a fairly low cut-off point like 45 hz and set the gain on the sub at 10 o'clock. You should never need to go over the 12 o'clock position on the gain as they are logarithmic, that is they can achieve full output with the control at it's halfway point. Good luck and enjoy your purchase !

They will "break" themselves in when you start playing them. The rubber surrounds start loosening up and the spider starts stretching and also becoming more pliable. There are people here of both camps, some believe a speaker breaks in ( like me ) and others feel that it is your ears that break in. There are countless other ( audiophile ) groups that believe esoteric speaker cables and even ac cords require a break in period. Not wanting to start a war, I will leave it at that. Believe what you want to believe. I just played some music at low volumes for a while when I was playing with the positioning of the speakers and the setup.

I asked this too since it is a major puchase. People told me that in one minute a tweeter moves like 99 gazillion times in and out, so after about 3 seconds they are broke in. But I still played it safe, listened for about 10 minutes at a moderate level, then I cranked my favorite music to see exactly how loud they go. Never got to full volume, hurt too much:)

----------------

On 2/12/2003 8:53:53 PM legend9 wrote:

I got the RSW10 off a friend, for 500. Its about 4 months old, used little. Is this a good deal? I haven't tested it because I'm getting it later this week. He still has papers and the box with it.

----------------

Judging by the follow-up post to the above quoted post, this "friend" must be Bruinsrme. Yes, $500 is an excelletn deal on a practically brand new RSW-10. Also, I have good faith that Bruinsrme would not try to sell you a bum item, so I am quite certain you are in good hand here. From my personal dealings with him, he is a very trusted member of this forum.

As for breaking in speakers, like others said - hook'em up and play'em loud! Maybe the sound does improve over time, but than again, perhaps it is the user's ears that are breaking in. It sure seems like the sound on my RF-7s gets better and better 9.gif.

I can also relate to what Zandern said that these are a major purchase and it is perfectly logical that somebody would be concerned about how to properly treat thier new joy in life 1.gif.

As for the how to get the best sound - others have already beat that one to death. Also, to add, for care and maintenace, treat them like you would any other piece of fine furniture. Speakers are pretty maintenance free beyond the occasional dusting.