Going to buy new system...need advice on receiver choice!!!

jkholt

Ok then, going to buy my first HT system. This is what I plan to purchase:

Mains: RF3II

Center: RC3II

Surr: RS3II

Sub: RSW-10

For a receiver I am torn between the Denon 2802 and the new Denon 3803. My questions are, I know the 2802 is enough for this current system but will it suffice if I upgrade to the RF7's(all the way around) in the future?

And, if I buy the 3803 will it be overkill if I stay with this setup and do not upgrade? You know there is a $500 diff in the 2802 and the 3803.

Thanks in advance for all replies!

JKH

You have the exact system that I was looking at buying. After seeing a few comments about the SVS 20-39 PC Plus Subwoofer, I kick in the extra bucks and got one. I was also looking at the 3803 or 2802. Did a compromise and went with the 1082. Price is right in between and the specs were real close to the 3803.

I have had the system for about 2 months now and it rocks. I can turn the volume up and it is clear and undistorted with a bass that will shack the foundation.

The only other systems I looked at were in the stores and none compared to this. I have it set up in my family room and am now working on setting up a true HT in the basement. This system will also have Klipsch, SVS, and Denon.

Sorry about the previous posting, I miss hit.

WaHooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!! Bought my HT system today, although it won't be up and running until next Wed. I purchased the following:

RF3 II

RC3

RS3

RSW 10

Denon AVR 3803

I am soooo relieved all the haggling crap is finally over. And I think I did pretty good in getting a good price too!

The cables, wire and accessories I had to get added up quite a bit.....more than I was thinking.

But man, I am just about ready to ROCK Babie!!!!! Thanks for everyone's suggestions on all my inquiries!

JKH

All this came from NOW!Audio Video. They have two stores near me, Greensboro, NC and Winston-Salem, NC.

AVR3803 $1050

RF3 II $680 (pr)

RC3 $285

RS3 $450 (pr)

RSW10 $820

And with $300 worth of cables, wire, connectors and taxes, the total turn-key price was $3837.00

I was able to get 15 months free financing also.

I think I did very good. Those cables and taxes do suck though.

I won't get the 3803 and RSW10 until next Wed. Can't wait to get it all hooked up!!!!

JKH

Congrats!!!!!!!!

Those prices are righton the money. You are going to have a lot of fun and enjoyment. you will apprciate the RSW10 sub. It will give you nice smooth bass.

Now you need to run to Wla-mart and get as many bottles of OFF as possible. That should keep the upgrade bug away for a little while.

Now sit back and enjoy. What are the first movies you'll be running?

Scott

The Matrix I bet would sound great, Top Gun was demoed at the store...it sounded great also.

I was thinking about "We Were Soilders", "Gladiator", maybe some music DVD's...Fleetwood Mac's "The Dance", Metallica's "Cunning Stunts".

What are some that you would suggest? I know for a fact I'm gonna get "We Were Soilders", oh yeah, "Private Ryan" should be good also.

After listening to the RF3 setup at the store, the salesman took me to the "back room", this is where they have what I would call the Ultimate Setup....I guess he was going to try and sell me on the VERY high end HT.

It was like a miniature theater, big screen and all. The system was the RF7's, RC7, RS7's, and the RSW12. Plus there were additional speakers...I guess it was an 7.1 setup. I am not sure what was pushing everything but

it had plenty of juice. He played a couple of scenes from the Matrix. It was incredible sound, wow.

This was a setup for someone with lot's of $$$$! He said I could get the system in the "back room" for around 30K.

That was truly a cool movie watching room.

Name me a few suggestions to get, both movies and music DVS's.

JKH

I heard the 3803 has problem with video switching, or something related to a that matter. I heard Denon will provide a fix to this, as long as you bought it from an authorized dealer. As for 3803 and 3802, not much different, but you can get the 3802 for around 600 at tweeter nowadays, if they happen to have them.9.gif

I have read about that in some forums. I don't pick up my 3803 until Wed., I'll be sure and ask the sales person before then about it.

I am pretty sure what I read concerned the upconverting from s video to component to the tv monitor. I also have heard from a couple of 3803 owners in these forums that they have not experienced that problem, and that it doesn't apply to all 3803's. Anyhow, I don't plan on doing any upconverting in that manner so maybe it won't matter in my case. But for sure, I'll address it with the store before I take my 3803 home!