New Room Construction advice needed

GandL

Hello all,

I am building a room above my garage (which is attached to my house) that is going to be 22x23. I am planning on putting a pair of klipschorns in the corners (outside wall away from the rest of the house). The ceilings are 9' for four feet around the edge of the room and they extend to 10' in the middle. 

This room partially sits over our bedroom as well (just a little) 

How do I best dampen the sound from traveling along the joists and walls to the rest of the house? 

I am planning on double studding the wall(s) that the K horns are using to help with bass extension. Would insulating with sound damping insulation hurt the bass. 

I'm thinking thick insulation between the first and second floor? Thank you so much for your thoughts. 

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, GandL said:

Would insulating with sound damping insulation hurt the bass.

Insulating your floor and interior walls with mineral wool (Roxul Saf-N-Sound for example) will reduce the sound outside the room and help the bass inside the listening room.

Also, you should read up about techniques for using mass loaded vinyl or applying something like Green Glue and a second layer of sheetrock.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, GandL said:

I am planning on double studding the wall(s) that the K horns are using to help with bass extension.

Years ago, I lived in Hope, AR and my father was a construction contractor.  He once did a remodel for Bob Moers, the president of Klipsch.  In the corners, where the Khorns were to be placed, he built a solid 3-4 feet of 2x4s out from the corner for bass reflection.  Kind of like your idea, but taken to the max.  Not sure how this would play out in terms of transmission THROUGH the lumber to other parts of the house, but I imagine it helped as far as getting the most bass extension from the folded horn. 

On 4/25/2024 at 8:16 PM, GandL said:

Thanks for the responses! Much appreciated.

Will the Roxul/Green glue in any way deaden the room response or livin it do you think? 

Building the walls with Roxul added inside will improve the sound of the music in the room and reduce the amount of sound traveling to the other side because the mineral wool absorbs air vibrations, therefore behaving similar to a bass trap. Adding Green Glue and a second layer of drywall reduces sound transmission to the other parts of the house and helps the music listening room by reducing the wall vibrations and resonances. Ideally both methods are installed together during construction.