Whats the worst time your comp has ever frozen on you

Juba310

About the game crashing last night. I highly doubt it had anything to do with my mobo/processor combo. Most likely, it was due to either the game itself or that piss-poor POS sorry excuse for an operating system Windows 98SE.

----------------

On 4/2/2003 11:13:51 AM Ray Garrison wrote:

A PC AT with the beloved 80286 and a whole *MEG* of RAM installed, running under CGA graphics on the IBM Graphics Monitor.

----------------

Ah yes, I remember those. My first PC was the Original IBM PC (8088 4.77mhz), 640K RAM, CGA graphics with the IBM Color monitor and dual 360K 5.25inch drive (no harddrive). One of those Six-Pack cards hooked up to an Epson 9-pin dot-matrix printer.

I remember writing a game on this thing in BASIC. One of my brothers was blasting his stereo upstairs and my father got tired of telling him to turn it down. So he got this bright idea of throwing the circuit breaker to my brother's bedroom. I was in the process of saving my program - my dad threw the wrong circuit breaker. Needless to say, I was a bit miffed! I kinda informed my father that unless you want to trash about $5000 worth of equipment (yes, back in that day, that PC was about $5K), please don't do that again!

640K That was *QUITE* a big system. Max RAM for first gen was only 512 per IBM.

Remember IBM PC DOS 1.0 that couldn't divide by 10 if you were using formatted PRINT USING output in BASICA?

First IBM PC we got in the store (Aug, 1980) was as 16K box with cassette recorder storage (no floppy discs or DOS, just the basic BIOS on the firmware) with the Monochrome Display and parallel printer card, and the IBM-version of the Epson MX-80 that was tractor feed only, no platten...

Was it really 23 years ago? Wow....

By the way, I still have issues 1, 2 and 3 of PC Magazine. One has an interview with a very young looking Bill Gates, other has interview with Gary Kildall when he was going to knock Bill of the top of the heap and replace the lousey MS-DOS with a *REAL* operating system, CP/M-86.

Gen. Bruinsrme,

Here I agree 100%,Intel motherboards are rock solid.In fact THE most stable and the boards with the least problems.

All the boards we sell to companies are Intel or Tyan.No Asus,no Gigabyte,no MSI.Just Intel and Tyan,as the number of returns under warranty are less then 0.5%,even lower!

Asus since a few years has gone down in durability,more and more do we see Asus boards go sour.

I am an Asus user myself I have the P4G8X Deluxe(Asus best P4 board by FAR,Intel northbridge and southbridge...what else),K7V,CUSL2-LS and A7N8X Deluxe.

I never had any problems with my systems.And they are all overclocked to the max.

Thanks to Intel CPU's,with the Intel 2.4GHz 533FSB chip you can get all the way to 3.4Ghz with little problems(what I did on my P4G8X Deluxe).

Intel has AMD on the run,dollar for dollar Intel is the king for overclockers and anyone who wants stability.

----------------

On 4/2/2003 2:31:19 PM Ray Garrison wrote:

Remember IBM PC DOS 1.0 that couldn't divide by 10 if you were using formatted PRINT USING output in BASICA?

----------------

My system came with PC-DOS 3.0, thus never ran into that problem. Yeah, 640K was alot for back then - That famous quote that Bill Gates allegedly said in that "Nobody will need more than 640K of RAM".

However, BASIC will only use the first 64K for programs and data, unless I use POKE commands to poke data into the other memory segments.

That memory was nice for the large spreadsheets that my dad created on that thing using Lotus 123. I remember using that for a lab write-up for chemistry class. I had that thing setup where I only had to plug in the raw data acquired from the experiment and all the calculations where done. It only took me about 45 minutes to set it up, otherwise it would have taken me over 3 hours to do it by hand w/ a calculator, not to mention the possibility of mistakes. Pretty sweet 10.gif.

I still have a working C64 setup down in the basement - still like to play old games on that thing.

I still have a working C64 setup down in the basement - still like to play old games on that thing.

----------------

My Atari 800 (cir. 1982) is still up and running at a friend's house for his 8 year old son. The original 850 5 1/4" drive and Indust GT drive still works without a hitch.4.gif

But man do I remember those slow a** Commodore 1541 drives.3.gif