Whats the worst time your comp has ever frozen on you

Juba310

I do not know the word blue screen or freeze on my PC's.

The reason is simple,OS used is win XP Pro.Big(500W+) Enermax and Vantec PSU's,Intel(P4) and Tyan(Athlon XP) boards(the most stable boards,no Asus/Abit is not what I call rock stable),great cooling(Thermalright and Swiftech).Western Digital JB series hard drives.OCZ and Corssair memory

In other words,quality power supply,memory and cooling are paramount for a stable system.

BTW if you have a DEER/PRO POWER or Austin power supply be very afraid.When they go bad they often toast the hard drive and board(and in some cases nearly all components besides the CPU and memory!).

I cannot count the number of times I had stuff freeze up on me, alot of it due to me being directly responsible (one of the fun and joys of software engineering - gotta love those system crashing bugs! - but my software? - naaah, I always write perfect software 11.gif). Diligent saving is the only real thing to do to prevent lost data in the even of a lock-up.

TheEAR is correct for the most part! However, I do have an Asus motherboard in my Athlon 1.33 Ghz box and I have never ever had a problem with that thing. That system has been rock-solid for the past nearly 3 years! I happen to like Asus motherboards and had nothing but good luck with them. Just last summer, I installed an Asus A7V333 mobo with an Athlon XP 2200+ processor in my friends computer. That system has also been rock-solid (Of course, having that very nice Entec(sp) case and a PC Power & Cooling 400watt powersupply sure helps)! I'll also admit that the Tyan mobos are very nice and have one in my Linux box.

• 1 month later...

Well, to dig up an old topic. My computer froze RIGHT when I was about to beat the game of Anacronox (definitly worth the $10 out of the bargin bin!)! PISSED ME OFF!!!. Now, I got to replay that whole last part, including that end battle which is a real pain in the @$$! A good 30 plus minutes worth of gameplay! I was so ready to put my foot through the screen, and then throw the damn computer through the window into the front yard!

Finishing my report for my senior design project during a thunderstorm. Lights flickered, computer locked up. I restarted the computer but it wouldn't boot. So I didn't have the typical problem of losing a paper I just couldn't get to it. Not even to print what was finished or save it to a disk to take it to another computer.

The problem ended up being a surge fried the modem which took down the internal bus. Removing the modem allowed the computer to restart. Didn't figure that out until the next night.

I was writing a final in my computer tech training program and I was answering some questions regarding Novell networking(not one of my strong suits) when I got the beloved BSOD. I lost everything. I was granted a rewrite,(using a different version of the exam) following a 20 minute break. During that time I had time to relax and mentally review my Novell info. I had already aced the rest of the exam and when I once again got to the Novell section I found that this version of the test asked about 10 questions re: Novell and completely omitted the stuff that I was shaky on 9.gif so I aced the Novell section too !

Sometimes the BSOD can be your friend !

Whippersnappers.

ComputerLand, Hamden Ct, circa 1983. Using Context MBA (a spreadsheet/word processor/graphics application that used UCSD P-code runtime libraries for "portability") running on a PC AT with the beloved 80286 and a whole *MEG* of RAM installed, running under CGA graphics on the IBM Graphics Monitor. I had been assigned the task of forecasting our 6-store chain's requirements for floppy drives (which were in *very* short supply at the time), 5 meg hard disks (ditto), and CPUs (PC/AT chassis). I had created a spreadsheet that took each salesperson's forecasts, for each store, for the next 3 months, created a "best case / worst case" forecast, and summarized inventory by store by month, with estimated order levels and costs. This speadsheet (which was pretty small by today's standards) took over *4 hours* to recalculate under the P-code operating system (there was a little counter on the bottom of the screen showing how many cells had been calculated, and you could actually watch it going 1... 2... 3... and so on up to 25,358... 25,359...)

I spent over 36 hours continously at the store, from a Wednesday night through to a Friday morning, working on the spreadsheet. I was saving it every five minutes or so. I was supposed to have this ready for a presentation to the francise owners Friday afternoon. At about 10 AM Friday, I hit save. It began writing the spreadsheet to disk, and about halfway through, PARITY CHECK 0 popped up on the screen. Computer rebooted. File was corrupt - could not recover. 36 hours of continuous work lost. Presentation due in 4 hours.

Got some transparencies out of the file cabinet, some colored pens, drew some lines and bars on some pages, made up some numbers, gave presentation. Inventory turned out to be so tight over next several months that forecast was meaningless, couldn't get any product anyway.

Never used that program again.

Then again, there was the time I was installing a network for Glastonbury Bank and Trust in 1985. Using an IBM S/34 as a file server for a bunch of PC's running 5251 emulation so clerks at various branches could access most recent MultiMate docs for loan rates and info.

I'd never seen an IBM S/34 before, and it had this cute menu-driven OS. I was poking around, and one of the options on the screen was "Turn Off Computer" or something to that effect. I was curious about what kind of prompts and stuff you'd get if you selected that option, so I tabbed over to it and pushed ENTER.

well, it turned off the computer.

cold.

No warning.

Turns out that S/34 was running the state-wide ATM network.

Shut down every ATM operated by GBT.

I kind of melted into the background and made myself busy hooking up my modem sharer, while panic stricken techs appeared and frantically began trying to figure out what had happened.

ATM network was offline for over 12 hours.

Never push the "OFF" button to see what will happen.

I am with m00n

Having had Asus, abit, giga, shuttle and a few others. both servers I am running have Intel Moboards and crucial memory. Never has either one locked up. Intel Moboards, except the 810 chipset, are rock solid performers. They may not be the fastest or have all the extra bells and whistles but they are extremely reliable.

The worst time I have ever had a machine lock up is when, well , uhmmmmm, ahhhhh, geezzzzzz, anyway.

Scott

----------------

On 4/2/2003 11:47:31 AM bruinsrme wrote:

I am with m00n

Having had Asus, abit, giga, shuttle and a few others. both servers I am running have Intel Moboards and crucial memory. Never has either one locked up. Intel Moboards, except the 810 chipset, are rock solid performers. They may not be the fastest or have all the extra bells and whistles but they are extremely reliable.

The worst time I have ever had a machine lock up is when, well , uhmmmmm, ahhhhh, geezzzzzz, anyway.

Scott

----------------

I think for 95% folks out there, they will find an Intel board that would have everything on it they want. I know I have and I used to be very pationate about my puter stuff. Much like the bottleheads up in 2 channel land. 9.gif

A few years ago I was upgrading my OS from Win 98SE to ME (I now it's a mistake to begin with). During the loading of ME from the CD the machine just froze. I didn't do anything because it looked like it was rewriting registries or something like that (the hard drive wasn't moving). After about a hour of still-ness I did a system reset on the machine. "Operating system not found" was it's only reply. Got the ME disk out of the drive and broke it in two (I got it free).

Scary today though, I get to work and my computer booted in "Safe Mode". Got it back to normal in about 15 min.

Yes, my next machines at work and home will be WinXP Pro if I have anything to say about it (and I do9.gif).