A tiny upgrade....

maxg

I imagine this is one of the smallest upgrades, physically at least you can do - as it weighs in at a mighty 9 grammes....

Over the weekend I noticed that my TT was not playing very well. That is to say that the soundstaging is excellent but the sound seems to have deteriorated. After mucho playing, during which we (Tony was round) discovered that the CD now sounded better than the TT, we pinpointed that the cartridge is finally on its way out.

Frankly I could have lived with the sound a little longer but Tony said the magic words and that was it. The magic words were - I think you might be damaging your vinyl....

Monday morning bright and early I headed off to Antonis - my local supplier of loads of gear these days (the new speaker cables, Tony's baby B&W's etc.)

He had 2 cartridges in stock - A Clearaudio MM cartridge that he didnt know himself (new apparently) and a Sumiko Oyster Series Blue Point special MC affair which he swears by.

Anyway I took the TT round and he fitted the Sumiko (boy am I glad he did it and not me!!!). It may well be that you can fit your own cartridges but I imagine the plethora of equipment that he had at his disposal as compared to my toolbox would be a distinct disadvantage.

Not only did he have all the kit but he also obviously loves playing with these things and takes the job very seriously. All told it took 2 hours including testing to get the thing working to his satisfaction. It was something of a pleasure to watch him at work. I guessed I was in for something special when he started by cleaning his hands with rubbing alcohol and then donning a pair of white gloves.

Once his work was done and I got home I managed to connect it up to the still in place Project phono box (yes I know - it is the next thing to upgrade) and it has been playing ever since. It is too early to assess the differences properly - it needs at least 40 hours to run in but from what I have heard to date this promises to be a fairly dramatic upgrade.

Next step, as I said, is to play with some phono stages. He has a full range running from my own Project phono box to something called an EAR and something else that is tube based and should drive the cartridge ok. Anyway he has promised that once the unit is run in he will bring a bunch around for us to play with.

Now if anyone thinks this blue point special is a great cartridge please let me know. If you think its not please don't - I have already parted with the cash and dont plan on changing it for some time (it did cost almost exactly the same as the TT)....

Even though I owned the Sumiko Blue Point MC for a number of years (with the old "P" mount body), I've heard the Blue Point Special at my dealer...in a word, AWESOME! It's nude body is a sight to behold, but its performance is spectacular at its price range. That was the very first time I heard an LP that sounded better than CDs (I never knew that was possible before); since then, I've been sold on the idea that a well recorded LP can outperform even the best CDs out there!

I couldn't afford the Special, so I bought the Blue Point instead, and I have absolutely no regrets...that MC served me well for many years on my Denon DP-62L direct-drive 'table! I recently sold my Denon, but removed the Blue Point...now my brother uses it on his old 1978 Technics 'table. If Sumiko can make our old consumer DD turntables sound like a Basis, Rega or Clearaudio with a tube-stage phono preamp besides...well, imagine what it can do for your expensive belt-drive 'table, aftermarket Rega or SME tonearm and a tube phono preamp!

You made a wise choice. Congrats on the ownership of your Special! Sumiko's customer service is excellent...they helped me install my Blue Point (I didn't have a manual at the time, the dealer couldn't find it, and I didn't know its weight to set the tracking force/Q dampening, etc.) and sent me a free manual, along with review sheets. Sumiko takes care of their customers...you won't be dissappointed!

my father has the BPS on his system at home and it sounds great! for the money I suspect it is very hard to beat. I had pooh poohed it at first but I soon discovered it really was an upgrade from his previous cartridges (a Stanton 881EEE and a Grado prestige gold). regards, tony

I think the stock Blue Point is a very good cartridge when it was priced in the $100 range which it was for quite a few years. When the moved to the better body, the price went way up. It is still a very musical, lush, atmospheric, cartridge that has a tube-like tonality. In some ways, I think it's more forgiving than the Special. Also, once in the Special price range, there are a host of other options. Still, the Sumiko line of cartridges are very nice and rarely do harm. You could do a lot worse.

As for the VTA, that is probaly either an optical illusion with the photo or the guy that set your cartridge up felt that he needed to drop the VTA angle down. This really does reduce brightness but when too low, there is a dulling of the sound. You usually try to start with the arm tube about parallel. I usually would rather err with it too low than too high, however. But that shot DOES seem low. You ultimately need to use your ears to adjust.

kh

The VTA does look strange indeed, so better check. With my cartridge a change in VTA clearly alters/reduces the information about the room in which the recording took place. So apart from tonal balance you might pay attention to that detail too - and mind, the difference is quite striking!

Wolfram

It's an optical illusion folks - the arm is, as far as I can see, entirely parallel with the vinyl.

Blame the photographer!!!

As for the rest - thanks for the words of encouragement. I can hardly wait for it to run in so that I can start hunting out a suitable phono stage.

Even in its current (9 hours logged up) state and with the project phono box I can hear a whole new world opening up....

Enjoy indeed! Which phono stage are you thinking of - tubes or ss? If you find a second hand Cyrus phono preamp, snap it up (especially with the PSX)- I only mention this piece of equipment because one notices that there aren't too many Europeans around on this forum2.gif .

Wolfram

"aren't too many Europeans around on this forum"

Too true - Klipsch is one of those American secrets they havent shared too well with us on the other side of the pond....

Made a note of the phono stage. Not sure what I will be getting yet - still getting used to the sound I have now - which is head and shoulders above what I had with only 20 hours on the cartridge and the project phono box.

First off I plan to test everything in Antonis'arsenal (http://www.stepcom.gr). His shop is 5 mintues from my house and he is one of those great guys that insists you test everything at home before you buy...

AS I seem to be buying on looks these days (lol) I am very tempted by this

If you cant be bothered to follow the link this is the pic:

brio.jpg

It's a work of art, allright! If it sounds as good as it looks, then ****** it up!

I hear the Pro-ject phono preamp, although inexpensive, is very good indeed. Sumiko has a way of building top-notch products at low prices (here in the USA; don't know about Greece). They can, however, produce expensive products as well...the Sumiko Celebration MC for US$1,500 with its wooden cover. Looks as nice as any Grado or a Benz Ruby 2!