Re-coning the copper polypropylene cones?

Hi Everyone,

Has anyone taken a look at re-coning the copper style speakers?

I am guessing that the trick is to find the copper color'd material to generate a cone, in the first place.

I bet there is a reasonable demand for this type of fix!

I have some unblemished drivers on their way to me, to replace some on my RC-7. I may attempt to disassemble one of the blemished ones, to see what is needed.

Ideally, I want to find at least two R-1089-AVs for the RF-7 (series 1s.) These are pretty hard to find. These would certainly be a candidate for a re-cone operation, if I could figure it out.

Bob.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Another thought that I had, is whether or not it is feasible to "Transplant" a RF-7II or RF-7III driver from the "Round" basket to the "Square-ish" basket from a donor RF-7 10" driver?

This would entail re-foaming the edge of the cone to the older basket. This isn't an ideal solution but perhaps could work.

Another idea I have kicked around is create an adaptor ring that could be inserted into the RF-7 cavity and allow the RF-7II/III speaker to used as a drop-in replacement.

Bob..

Edited by Robert M.
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, OO1 said:

there are no copper style recone kits on the market 

I am aware of that. I was curious to know if some enterprising individual may have found an analogue.

I do see Copper colored speakers (and parts) on Aliexpress.

I'd even be curious to know if the copper color'd polypropylene/aluminum sheets are available.

bob.

• Like 1

On 5/5/2024 at 7:46 PM, Robert M. said:

Another thought that I had, is whether or not it is feasible to "Transplant" a RF-7II or RF-7III driver from the "Round" basket to the "Square-ish" basket from a donor RF-7 10" driver?

This would entail re-foaming the edge of the cone to the older basket. This isn't an ideal solution but perhaps could work.

Another idea I have kicked around is create an adaptor ring that could be inserted into the RF-7 cavity and allow the RF-7II/III speaker to used as a drop-in replacement.

Bob..

Sounds like you have done some thinking and if an original pops up grab it if realistic.

Patience and looking.As for another 2 or 3 model Klipsch part use, research and see what others like @Iteachstem

may advise there @Robert M.