Looking for cheap sub..hows this?

InnovaZero

Well my living room consists of:

Hitachi UltraVision 60" TV

2x Pioneer CS-R700's Floorstanding

2x Acoustic Research LS-30's Floorstanding

Denon AVR-603 Receiver

Anyhoo I'm looking for a subwoofer, I don't havem much money to work with ($200-300 at very most)

So I was looking around and I found the JBL PB10 subwoofer for around $250.

~~~~~

Specs:

Low-Frequency Driver: 10" Pure-cellulose fiber cone

Amplifier Power (RMS): 150 Watts

Inputs: Line-level (switchable to LFE) and speaker-level with gold-plated 5-way binding posts

Outputs: Speaker-level, high-pass with gold-plated 5-way binding posts

Low-Pass Frequency: Continuously variable from 50Hz - 150Hz

High-Pass Frequency: 150Hz when using speaker-level output

Frequency Response: 27Hz - low-pass crossover setting

~~~~~

I heard this was a really good sub for the money, and beat the likes of the klipsch KSW-10 and Cambridge's Powercube 10, which of I was also considering.

What ya all think? Good choice? Later!

Well thank you for you replys, but I really can't squeeze out any extra money. However upon looking around and reading places. I've decided to get The Sony SA-WM40 12 inch subwoofer for $200. I've been hearing a lot of rave about this subwoofer fomr many, many people. Heard it goes down to 25hz with good volume (Heard it goes down further, like 20hz but volume drops off after 25hz). Heard it was great for movies, for music well I can do a quick polyfil mod.

PS: Anyone here heard Sony's 12inch? I mean whats your general thoughts?

"The Sony SA-WM40 12 inch subwoofer for $200. I've been hearing a lot of rave about this subwoofer fomr many, many people. Heard it goes down to 25hz with good volume (Heard it goes down further, like 20hz but volume drops off after 25hz)."

LOL and LOL cubed

Lots of great reviews!? From who,newbs who dont have a clue what a good subwoofer is,who dont own high quality audio and set up the right way.

The Sony WM40 is BOOMY,and will only sound good to teenagers who listen to optimised for cheap boom boxes POP music.The cabinet is as thin as carboard and as solid,the amp is weak and the driver has as much linear as a tweeter.Just listen for yourself

For music this sub is a total and complete disaster,its not some filling that will trasnform this "sub" into a Sunfire or Klipsch RSW.It lacks in the driver,amp and cabinet departament.This cannot be compensated by filling the cabinet,it will however tame the boombox and make it less of a pain for your ears.

NOW,this sub goes to 25Hz with good volume! HA HA HA HA HA HA HA excuse me you are talking to TheEAR subsonic resident master.Like it or not the WM40 output at 25Hz is pathetic,I even consider my Klipsch RSW15(a monster of a sub compared to the WM40,in any respect)to be weak at 25Hz.25Hz with authority means at LEAST 106dB at listening position,few subs can acomplish this feat(all SVS can,the SUnfire Sig.can,the Aerial SW12 and Revel B15 all can with no problems).

Output on this WM40 drops early,well before 30Hz.

Just my two cents

As well go DIY and you will have a real subwoofer,if you know how to use a powertools.Adire has serious woofers and plate amps for a few $$ and all you have to do is buy and cut(most Home Depot and the likes can do it)the MDF.Then glue the cabinet,install the woofer and plate amp and you have a killer sub for peanuts.

If the Sony WM40 would be the only "subwoofer" on earth I would prefer no "sub" at all.

lol, I've gotta agree with ears here. the sony subs aren't good for much and will only seem so if its the first non comp sub you've ever had. As far as the JBL subwoofers go, I own a PB-12, and it sounds decent. if you can get one that doesn't blow up in a few months that is. took too long to get it back from the shop. dunno where you're looking, but I got mine for 250 and thats the PB-12. I wouldn't go any less than a 12 inch.

Unfortunately, in your price range there are no "real subwoofers". I highly recommend checking out the used market. Try ebay, post something here asking for people's used sub offering in your price range, do teh same at hometheaterforum.com, or look at the "hardware for sale/trade" forum there.

If you absolutely must buy something new, there is a much better alternative to the Sony. It's the $99 DLS-10 available from www.partsexpress.com. I've personally heard both and while neither can reach satisfying levels for me, the DLS-10 is amazingly free of the "boom boom" complex, most budget subs(like the Sony) suffer from. I would recommend two of them in the same corner for maximum impact. Here's a link where someone did some output tests between the SA-WM40/DLS-10:

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htforum/showthread.php?s=&postid=1195021#post1195021

Also a search for this subwooofer on hometheaterforum.com will bring plenty of positive comments in it's favor.

Frank