KLF 30 Vs. KLF 20

tgourlie

I'm really looking for that PUNCH of the Legend sereis. Because my local dealer has no KLF 30's in stock I can't hear them. I heared the 20's And I can really feel the punch. My question is How much more punch would I get with the dual 12 the 30's provide. And is the bass sound the same on the 10's as on the 20's? Dealer was out of the 10's also. Thanks for your help. Looking forward to owning the Legend Series!

TG

I think the 20's and 30's have the same horn and mids yet the 30's are about 2 db higher in efficiency. I would presume that is due to the 12 inch woofs rather then the 10's.

Some people prefer the 20 to the 30's as the 30's have a more bass inclined tonal balance. Some have said they are muddy compared to the 20's??

BobG once asked me if I found my smile growing when the slam, bam, boom was loud and at it's best and if so that I was a 30's kind of guy.

Of course, I am a 30's kind of guy!

Denon 3300

KLF 30's -front

KLF C7 -center

KLF 10's -A. rears

KSF S5 -B.rears (WDST)

Velodyne HGS 12 -sub

I think this setup is absolutely SPECTACULAR!

It is very clear with TONS of slam. Let me tell you that 5 Legends in 5 ch stereo really HAMMER.

Do the 10's have the same bass as the 20's? I would say yes and no. The 10's actually go deeper then all the Legends. They 20's and 30's have excellent mid bass that the 10's lack.

I like my 10's and started with them as mains but the 20's and 30's are superior overall IMO.

could someone explain again why the 20s have a lower freq response than the 30s & the 10s lower than the 20s. seems to defy logic - i always thought bigger drivers & bigger cabinets produce lower bass. guess all things else are not equal then.

------------------

Klipsch KLF-30 (front), KLF-C7, Cornwall I (rear)

Velodyne HGS-18 sub woofer

Monsterbass 400 sub interconnect & Monster S-12 cable

Sony STR-DE935 a/v receiver

Sony DVP-C650D cd/dvd player

Sony Trinitron 27" stereo tv

Toshiba hi-fi stereo vcr

Technics dual cassette deck

Technics direct drive turntable

Scientific Atlanta Explorer 2000 digital cable box

2nd room:

Klipsch RF-3 (front), RC-3, cheap little Technics (rear)

Kenwood KR-9600 AM/FM stereo receiver (vintage '75)

Teac PD-D1200 5-disk cd player

Sega Genesis game player

Sub: None yet

rock on!

RWMIN....

WOW you have an excellent setup!! I can't believe you have 10's as rears. That really shows how good that system must rock. I would be using Heresy II's as rears with the legend fronts. I sound like a perfect prospect for the 30's I love that bass. It aint enough until it's breathing for me. smile.gif

TG

I have KLF30s as both my mains and my surrounds. Awesome sound stage for both Home Theatre and Music. If you have the money, go for the full range all the way around. You won't be sorry! Look at my signature, you can see how my system is setup. Good luck in whatever you decide. And remember ... it's what sounds best to you in your setup.

------------------

KLF-30 mains

KLF-C7 center

KLF-30 surrounds

KG -3.5 rear effects

KSW200 subwoofer

Denon AVR5800

Pioneer Elite DV-09

Pioneer Elite PD-F19

RCA DTC1000

Sony Playstation 2

Denon MD1000

Vidikron Epoch D-600

Vutec 100" 4:3 1.5 gain

Hey TTK

I actually replaced a single KPS-S6 with the pair of KG 3.5s .... and yes, already sold the KSP-S6s to a lucky board member here. Anyway, the KG 3.5s sound very good, still tinkering with the volume levels. They do add a nice seamless rear stage. If you have anymore questions, drop me a note.

------------------

KLF-30 mains

KLF-C7 center

KLF-30 surrounds

KG -3.5 rear effects

KSW200 subwoofer

Denon AVR5800

Pioneer Elite DV-09

Pioneer Elite PD-F19

RCA DTC1000

Sony Playstation 2

Denon MD1000

Vidikron Epoch D-600

Vutec 100" 4:3 1.5 gain

BobG once said that the 30's could have been made to go deeper but Klipsch would have had to compromise the tonal balance that the Legend line shares.

So why are the KLF 10's rated deeper then the 20's? I assume it is also in relation to the tone of the line in general as the 20's and 30's have an additional speaker to deal with.

I really LOVE the tonal balance achieved with the 10's, C7 and 30's.

The 10's miss what the 30's have. The 30's just aren't just right either but once combined I think they are perfect!

I don't know about Klipsch's method of testing, but I doubt that the 30s go lower than the 20s based on what I've read and heard from may people, including BobG. I understand that by designing them to be more efficient and more dynamic, some bass response was lost.

While I have no personal experience comparing the 30s to the 20s, I have compared the 20s to the 10s, and the 10s go noticeably lower. They are not as dynamic or efficient, and they are weak in the midrange, but they go lower.

isolated & compared to the 20s or 10s, the 30s middle name is punch. as in upper range of kick drum punch. not that the 10s or 20s don't have it - the 30s just have more of it.

------------------

Toshiba hi-fi stereo vcr

2nd room:

Sega Genesis game player

rock on!

Having a pair of 30's and a trio of 10's, the opportunity to compare with the same environment, I have elected to put the 30's as mains for their robust attack and mellow bassline... with the KSW-15 available for any shortfall. Due to a scarcity of 30's in this part of the world, I used 10's for the rear arrays... and they did not disappoint.

But, let's face it, legends are scarce and getting more so. I picked the 30's over the 20's by the punch in ear... and sought three more 30's after the initial pair... but in the end I was lucky to land three 10's... and a C-7 to bring out the best in the 30's. Just keep a glue bottle handy! HornEd

------------------

"Klipsch by the Dozen"

Front Six Pack:

KLF 30's R&L + KLF C-7

KSW-15 Sub, SB-2 Effects

Rear Six Pack:

KLF 10 thru KSW-12 L/C/R

Speaker Support Systems:

Mitsubishi RPHD1080 65"

Yamaha RX-V3000 Receiver

Happy Ears x2!

WOW you have got quite the system HornEd!!!! That has got to be LOUD!!! And clean smile.gif

SO this is what I'm think. I'll put a pair of 10's or 20's up front because I don't think I could get a pair of 30's in my budget. Then a C7 center, and the Heresy II's in rear on Lovan stands with the 15 for LFE. What do ya think?

i'd spend another $300 for the 30s punchy biggrin.gif

------------------

Toshiba hi-fi stereo vcr

2nd room:

Sega Genesis game player

rock on!

god's speed! & i'd get klf-20 or 10 for rears matchup.

better hurry. hear they're about to do the final production run on the C-7.

------------------

Toshiba hi-fi stereo vcr

2nd room:

Sega Genesis game player

rock on!

I could not agree more with Boa regarding the 30's upper bass.

You need to make it a point to find the extra money for the 20's over then 10's. If you can swing it go for the 30's. The 10's are good rears but as mains they are not the best choice in that line.

It's been awhile since I did this but once I hooked up my KLF 10's to my Denon's A. rear ch and my KLF 30's to the rear B. ch so that I could A,B the two sets. I do remember that the 30's won hands down but I was still very impressed with the 10's bass.

If you just need to have more info regarding 10's vs 30's I will repeat and supply details. I know the outcome will be the 30's in every aspect so theres probably no point. Now if someone wants to bring a pair of 20's over I'd love to do that with those.