Is SWS something I want??

Oatmealz

I'm pretty sure this is already a dead horse, but lets beat it some more. I have a small room, approximately 11 x 8 and I'm trying to reproduce the same BASS quality as a club. Although I don't have thousands of dollars to spend on a high end system/monitors, I thought I'd look into the SWS.

At the moment I own the PM 5.1 and I have to say I'm not totally satisfied with the BASS, considering that it's dual 8'. I'm trying to get the wall shaking bass. I've already ordered 2 SWS and I have really high expectations for it. So can anyone satisfy my anxiety and give me the heads up so I don't get too disappointed when it arrives?

- Oto

----------------

On 2/24/2003 7:16:12 PM justin_tx_16 wrote:

you should get a 6dB increase in bass (i think...) and put that in a corner for even more! Placement is key. The SWS has bass about the same (or better maybe) as the PM 5.1 sub, so would basically 3 PM 5.1 subs please you? IT SHOULD! LoL!

----------------

I certainly hope it will make a big difference...

Nothing would sound better than four perfectly synchronized eight inch subs augmenting the bass on my already powerful system.

Now I am debating whether I should get the 5.1's and a new sound card before I buy these multiple beasts.

• 3 weeks later...

hi, have you received your sws and tried them? Please post what you think because I am also looking for more bass for my PM5.1 and I considering wheather to buy a SWS. I don't want to waste my money if its just going to make a small difference.

THank you5.gif

I just got my SWS yesterday and all i can say is that you will not be disappointed with the dynamics in bass delivered by just one sub. It is very boomy... so much so that I only have to have it at the first dot on the dial and it is enough to make people living on the oppposite end, a floor below, and a floor above, complain about the noise! My dorms hall is about 40 feet long. I would say that just adding one SWS to any 4.1 or 5.1 system will more than put it in the lead over logitechs similar system.

Ok, I apologize for this... but cue up a tpg random moment <cue>

Hmm... loud, punchy, club-like bass... I think this is what you want in about a 5-7.5 cubic foot enclosure, tuned to 30 or so Hz with a 4-6" port, flared, of course. Filled with about 5lbs of acoustic dampening fiber, with appropraite speaker spikes...

Lets see... $70 for woofer (yes, it says $114, but have them email the price and it is $70) and $10 or so for spikes, $5 for port, $30 for wood (maybe more)- have I gone over the cost of an SWS yet?

It is no matter... this will give you the punchiest of punchiest bass- approx. 100dB at 100Hz, and if tuned to 30Hz, about 80-90dB at 20Hz. That is a decent volume for that low frequency.

But anyway... as Justin said, 6dB gain just for adding a second sub. To clarify, though no one asked, just because I feel like telling something useful (it has not been a good day)- Adding a second woofer in parallel with an existing woofer, where both will share the same power (hence the parallel bit) will yield a 3dB gain. Adding a second woofer with a separate power supply will give 6dB gain. In room acoustics can either steal some of that or add to it. If you corner load it, you can gain significantly. Stick it in the middle of a carpeted room with 10ft ceilings (like my room) and you will be sorry.

And now I will cease my post for I think I just ruptred something in my side when I popped my back just then... my body is now shaking, and this shaking is coming from my side... where I fell on the curb while running... owies...

Two SWS bass modules plus the PM5.1 one should give you near club "quality" punch.

GamersDepot has a good review,they used three SWS bass modules,they claim 119dB peak output!119dB is very loud and only the deaf may say its lacking in output.

The only Klipsch subwoofers with club like bass are the RSW12 and 15.I used my RSW15 and 10 with my "MP3" PC this week,no need to say its high impact high octane bass.Even too much of a good thing

Dual SWS with a PM5.1 should be plenty in any PC setup

ok I have a dilemma... I have 9' ceilings I think and my room is approximately 12x12 maybe.. i can't really put my sub in the corner like I want... it's against the wall on carpet near the middle of the room... I don't have enough wire to move it so... I was thinking... should I get an SWS and stack it on top of the pm5.1 sub if possible?