Heresy purchase advise needed...

nnicloo

Hi to you all,

I've been reading through this list for some time now. At my work we do have a pair of Heresy speakers (1981), and I have fallen in love with their sound image. As I would love to own such speakers I have been looking around on ebay to find a pair.

I'm living in Belgium- Europe, and that doesn't make things easier. Buying in the USA is virtually impossible, because of the very high shipping costs, taxes and so on. In Europe these speakers aren't so widely spread, so chances to find them are much less.

Then back in December I saw an auction for a pair of Heresy II's (1999) with stands, finished in black. They were sold for 676 EURO (729 $).

Two months later (last week in fact) the same speaker were again sold through ebay, and although I was a bit suspisious about their quality, I started bidding to. (I mailed with the seller and he assured me everything was fine with those speakers).

They finally went for 826 EURO (891 $), and I didn't get them. :-(

We are now one week later, and suddenly I get a mail from this other bidder (who has bought them) and he tells me that these speaker are a bit dissappointing in his small room, and he asks me if I'm still interested to buy them at the same price...

I'm still moderately interested, but I'm now very afraid there might be something wrong with those speakers... Can somebody advise me what to look for ? Would I be able to spot any faults if I just listened to them ? What could happen ? Any advise would be greatly appreciated !!!

ps ; the current owner (who has them for one week now) claims the speakers have a bass that's too pronounced, which I don't really understand, as the only comment I read on Heresy's is there potential lack of bass...

many thanks !

Nico Lauryssen

Belgium

If this fellow has a small room, and has them pushed into corners or against walls, it is possible he could be experiencing some imbalance. When I had the Heresies -- I thought the bass was evenly balanced. This coming from someone who is not really a bass freak.

It is best to simply communicate your concerns to him. Have HIM check the drivers by simply turning the volume down and checking each driver by ear.

Can you provide a link to the original eBay ad? Is it still available for viewing?

Are you able to audition them before buying? If so, tune in radio static (if he has a tuner in his rig) and press your ears close to the mid and high horns to be sure those drivers are working. Play music to see that the woofers are working. With no signal on them, gently press the center of the woofer cone to cause the cone to move in and out. Listen for any scraping sound, which would indicate a problem with the driver, also.

DD

Geepers Doug -- your'e slipping. Didn't you read the poor guys post?

"I'm living in Belgium- Europe, and that doesn't make things easier. Buying in the USA is virtually impossible, because of the very high shipping costs, taxes and so on. In Europe these speakers aren't so widely spread, so chances to find them are much less."

Personally, I would stay away from this pair based on the circumstances. On the other hand, it could be an amplification/source/room problem. Still, it is too circumspect. I would only buy this pair if you were able to audition them which appears out of the question. Better to be overly cautious than make a painful move with $900.

Then again, why listen to me; I have a major project due in 48hours and cant seem to turn this swine forum off!!!!

kh

----------------

On 2/26/2003 11:43:22 AM deang wrote:

Geepers Doug -- your'e slipping. Didn't you read the poor guys post?

"I'm living in Belgium- Europe, and that doesn't make things easier. Buying in the USA is virtually impossible, because of the very high shipping costs, taxes and so on. In Europe these speakers aren't so widely spread, so chances to find them are much less."

----------------

Dean - And the post says that the speakers are where?? :) No info that I can see... His post actually implies the auction was in Europe (as he mentions the selling price in Euro's), so we are left only to guess where the speakers actually are, IMHO.

Doug

Hi to you all !

Many thanks for all those replies !

The speakers are now in Germany, about 360 km (223 miles) away from my home (single trip that is). I was thinking about spending the time and effort to go over there and listen to them.

Thanks for the tips about how to check the horns and drivers !

Another idea that now got into my mind is ;

I could take the Heresy's from my work with me to Germany, and compare them side by side. (or is this a bad idea because of the differences between I's and II's ?)

I don't actually know with which equipment the seller uses/used them.

My amplifier is a NAD 319. At my work we have an old NAD 3140, and I like that sound very much, hopefully the 319 will perform as well with the heresy's.

Tomorrow I will bring home the Heresy's from my work , so that I can already have that experience. (before making that final decision...)

best regards,

Nico

----------------

On 2/26/2003 5:03:29 PM nnicloo wrote:

Hi to you all !

Many thanks for all those replies !

The speakers are now in Germany, about 360 km (223 miles) away from my home (single trip that is). I was thinking about spending the time and effort to go over there and listen to them.

----------------

Vindicated!!

Nico - The differences between I and II, I have read from posters on this board who have heard both, are minimal. Depending on how much of a "golden ear" you have, you may not notice any difference arising from "version" changes.

Have a nice road trip!

DD

Nico,

My suggestion is to listen to the Heresys from work for a time on your amp at home. Then, instead of taking the Heresys to Germany, just take your amp. That way you can test the German Heresys with your amp, and will have more room in your auto in which to return with the German Heresys if you choose to purchase them! Just a thought!

If you are making the trip to Germany by rail, insteado of by auto, taking only your amp is an even better idea! Once you have heard the Heresys from your work on your amp, you will know what to expect to hear from those Heresys in Germany when connected to your amp! They should have about the same sound...very little noticeable difference, if any! Good luck!

By the way, in my younger years, I spent a good bit of time in Lombardside, Schaffen(just outside of Diest), and Ostende...in Belgie. Most of this time was with the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd Battalions of the Para-Commando...when going through their commando training...and earlier during NATO AMF "Operation Minilord" in April of 1974, when I had the dubious honor of travelling throughout Belgie for two weeks, mostly on foot, with a rucksack on my back, a rifle in my hand, and with command-mandated summer clothing and equipment (IOW, NO sleeping bag, NO appropriate cold-weather clothing) while it was about -4 degrees Celsius, and snowing the entire time! HA HA!. I very much enjoyed my parachute jumps from the balloons at Schaffen afterwards, though, and my evenings spent at "The Joy Club" in Diest, quaffing a few local brews. I always thoroughly enjoyed my time spent with my Belgian Para-Commando comrades! They are a tough, brave bunch of guys, and a barrel of fun when "relaxing" together with a few beers after hours! You have an absolutely beautiful country with some of the friendliest people on earth...great beer, too! 2.gif