SVS box subs, what is the consensus?

cleandan

I am looking at a few options for finishing my HT speaker set up. (for now anyways, upgradeitis always seems to rear its head sooner or later) I have heard many good things about the SVS cylinder subs. I am curious if anyone has things to say about their box subs. A box sub would fit my needs much better than a cylinder. So, let me know what you think of SVS boxes. Thanks

It is interesting to see the pressure even today on Apple computer to be more IBM compatible. So it must be with SVS: why cant you make your subwoofers smaller? Yet, to do so, puts them in the same competition with Klipsch and Carver, both of which I believe make their own amplifiers and so should have some advantage to stuffing drivers and amps into boxes. The amazing value of the SVS tubes was not their size, but their depth for the money spent. I have no doubt that they know how to make a great sub, but if I was them, I would opt for taller and thinner versions, or shorter and wider, but stuck with the unique brand identification, not to mention the inherent beenfits of, tube subwoofers.

With Avantgarde making some huge tube shaped subwoofers, I might have driven upstream if I was SVS and concentrated on $4, 6, 8 and 12K models.2.gif

There is absolutely no difference between a well built tube and a well built box sub with the same allignment (ie same net internal volume, same port(s)/tuning, same driver and same power). The only difference is the box is heavier and more expensive to make. The PB1 is essentially a 25-31PCi tuned to 22hz.

Any minor parts cost advantage some of the major manufactures have by making their own stuff (although SVS isn't very far off that type of margin I'm sure) goes flying out the window when compared to the costs of maintaining a dealer network vs internet direct.

• 2 weeks later...

----------------

On 3/1/2003 10:02:00 AM Dustin B wrote:

There is absolutely no difference between a well built tube and a well built box sub with the same allignment (ie same net internal volume, same port(s)/tuning, same driver and same power). The only difference is the box is heavier and more expensive to make. The PB1 is essentially a 25-31PCi tuned to 22hz.

----------------

As Dustin said, the shape of the box shouldn't change it's sound... the PB1 could have been called PB 22-21PCi i guess... 9.gif It's more of a convevience factor (and a WAF)

That is one of the beauties of actually building your own sub... you can give it any shape or finish you like!

Well I am sure the box SVS sound the same as a sphere or cylinder SVS would.If the tuning and internal volume is the same(same driver) you will not hear any change.

Its just the shape that changes

Yeah where is the new SVS Sphere line?

LOL