DD-5.1 Installation to PC

Softail

I just received my Christmas present (a little late), the DD-5.1. I do not have the brains to configure this decoder without someone's help. How do I configure the DD-5.1 with my Soundblaster Live! 5.1 soundcard and my Promedia's 5.1 speaker system? I've read the manual and still cannot understand the wiring setup. What are the y connectors for and how do I get the decoder to communicate with the soundcard and/or the amp in the sub?

Thanks

Learned a lot from your site. Went out a got the mini plug to RCA adapter (that helped a lot). Rigged everything up as you suggested on your site.

NOW I can get the TV to work at a very low volume (2 speakers) and the PC sound will not work at all except from the left front speaker. The sound test with the white sounds works perfectly. I can take the green cable and input in the various other inputs and get those speakers to work. When I try the same with the black or orange cable it will not work at all.

My Promedia 5.1's worked great before I rigged the DD-5.1, so I know it is not the wiring of the speakers or the speakers themselves.

I look forward to anyone's help. THANKS3.gif

I just talked to Klipsch Tech Service and they informed me that the DD-5.1 will only give me the front channels while listening to music from the PC. I am not really sure what the decoder can do for me and my personal needs, I do not really need it to play PS2 as we are Ninetendo fans. Tech service said the main benefit for the PC would be gaming and everything I read says that is it's weakest point. Anyway the dd is on its way back to Klipsch unless someone can tell me how to configure this decoder for PC music, PC DVD playback and surround sound for the TV.

Well...

... tv is only broadcast in stereo, isn't it? I guess you could switch to pro logic mode if you wanted to listen to all your speakers at the same time. Personally, I like stereo in stereo ;)

.. the nintendo gamecube has an optical out, doesn't it?

... in terms of connecting the dd for pc gaming.. it depends on the game. if the game doesn't send a DD signal to the decoder, the dd isn't gonna decode anything? pro logic? :-)

TV stereo is fine but already have that. Cube would be nice but not at the expense of giving up my PC music (for me).

I have heard there are a couple PC games that support 5.1.

I'm not knocking the DD but my expectations are apparently to high. IS there anyway to get 5.1 from my PC and gaming systems??

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Justin,

Great site you have at soundwise.

I needed some help with some articles you had on setting up the DD5.1.

When I click on the links under help, there is nothing that works.

Can you please put some of those articles up again.

You see I just took the plunge, I got rid of my 2400's today, kinda sad actually cuz they served me really well for over 2 years, anyways I just ordered the Digital Dream 5.1 directly from Klipsch, wooohoo.

Thanks again.

• 2 weeks later...

Hmm... I don't know if I made a mistake, but I am trying to hook my soundcard (Audgiy Platinum) up to my DD-5.1, which then goes to my promedia 5.1. I bought an optical cable from radioshack. Will this allow me to get dolby digital sound? or did I spend my money on the wrong thing? On soundwise.org, it says I should get a digital output cable. I am asking because when I use my optical cable, dolby digital doesn't seem to work, and my sound is horrible (back speakers don't work, front speakers are very soft, and subwoofer is barely audible). Any help is appreciated, since Klipsch tech support still hasn't contacted me after 4 days.

the nintendo gamecube does not have optical out, it has your standard left right channel RCA's, it uses prologic II audio streams

----------------

On 3/4/2003 7:30:51 PM Herer wrote:

Well...

... tv is only broadcast in stereo, isn't it? I guess you could switch to pro logic mode if you wanted to listen to all your speakers at the same time. Personally, I like stereo in stereo
;)

.. the nintendo gamecube has an optical out, doesn't it?

... in terms of connecting the dd for pc gaming.. it depends on the game. if the game doesn't send a DD signal to the decoder, the dd isn't gonna decode anything? pro logic? :-)

----------------

• 3 weeks later...