SACD vs. Planet

mace

Hi,

Has anyone got a chance to listen to a Sony SACD 222ES or 555ES and compare it to a Rega Planet for regular CD playback?? I've got a 222ES with a 7 day return and it sounds pretty darn good. I've been using a 1989 Denon DCD620 from 1989 (which I got new) until it died a couple of months ago and the SACD is quite a noticable step up. Much less digititis, more clarity and better bottom end with the SACD. However, from what I've read about the Planet here it comes highly recommended. I only own CD's and that's what my new player will be for. I listen to everthing but mostly rock, hard rock and classical and techno. Jazz is interesting but I'm not into it. Country and rap are right out.

Basically, I want to know if the SACD goes back and I keep waiting for a Rega on eBay or Audiogon (with the right price). I can always get an SACD off eBay if I don't like the Rega, I suppose.

Any input would be appreciated,

Mace

Mace,

If you go here

http://www.audioasylum.com/forums/hirez/bbs.html

and type Planet in the search box, you can read posts by different people who have compared it on CD playback to CDs played on various SACD machines. May not help you much because there are opinions both ways on which is better for CD playback. I've never heard a Planet so I can't offer my own take.

However, I do know that a Planet cannot play an SACD. Why limit yourself to only CDs? Sure, you may have a lot of CDs and want something good to play them on, but SACDs are obviously so much better that you might as well buy them in the future when titles show up that you want. It's not like SACDs cost a lot--sometimes they are even $1 cheaper. There are many incredible classical SACDs out right now. Rock, less so, but definitely lots of titles on the way in the near future (just waiting to be stamped out and shipped). You yourself know the 222ES sounds "pretty darn good" on CD playback.

"...and it sounds pretty darn good."

The Sony's get more right than they get wrong. People that can overcome the Audiophile neurosis associated with buying a Sony machine end up pretty happy with them. Basically, the hair splitting isn't worth the stress. You could spend another couple of hundred dollars and have the machine modified -- beefing up the power supplies and what not, and would have a machine rivaling pretty much anything thing out there. Getting the right interconnect on that thing will take some of the zing out of the treble. I've been using my old cheapy MIT's the last couple of days -- and have about convinced myself again there is a 'rightness' to the sound I can't seem to get with some other things I've tried. I'd rather have a little zing in my treble than the emasculated treble audiophile decks have in an attempt to sound vinyl. The Sony's may have a little bit of zippity do dah at the top -- but it's clean, oh so clean.

I'll have to second Dean's comments I use a SCD-CE775 and find very pleasing with 90% of the Redbook CD's and really impressive with SACD. This unit can be found for $200 on the net. But from what I understand the unit you have is even better. I have thought about the Mods available for it but I just can't justify spending more on Mods then I did on the player. They sound great as is !

Craig

I also have a Sony SACD-CE775 that I am quite happy with. I just found a 1988 Rega Planet that I am considering as an upgrade. I would be interested to hear from others who had a chance to listen to the Rega Planet and Sony SACD players. In particular, is Rega a significant upgrade to Sony CE775?

i have the sony dvp-nc650v...which is a dvd/cd/sacd changer...it does an awesome job with all three formats....

i almost wanna kick myself though...i paid $499 for it about 8 months ago and now best buy is closing them out for $169 ....i'm almost tempted to buy one for my bedroom system...

russ