Could 16 y/o Cornwalls II need to be re-broken in ??

I purchased a pair of 1987 Cornwalls from mmiles from this forum a few weeks ago.

I was having some issues with the over-all sound so I worked on the perfect placement, got them up on some custom stands, and noticed some improvements.

But in the past 2-3 days/nights these things just came to life, or a new life of their own.

The soundstage, imaging, bass, balance, and just over-all performance of these classic gems just seemed to 'light up'

Is is possible, since these speakers had been dormate for a number of years, they needed to be re-broken in ?

Have numerous hours of listening "cleaned out the cobwebs" so to speak ?

Am I just becoming "used to" the over-all sound ?

It COULD be the fact that our heat pump isn't running 7x24 now that it has warmed up a bit !

Am I nutz ? (this is sort of a given in audiphile land) 3.gif

Whatever the case may be, somehow, everything is "just right" right now.

I was definitely in eargasm goosebump land last night !

If the problem has cleared itself up, then don't worry, be happy! LOL! It could be that you had loose terminal screws securing both the terminal to the speaker back AND the leads from the crossover network. I would check that first if you still feel the need. I have seen this problem before on the older terminals...but I don't know if your Cornwalls have those terminals or not. It may have been a problem associated in shipping them to you...leads somewhere just not making as good a connection as they should be making...ya just never know until you check things out!

I would think that even if your speakers needed to 'break in' again, it would only be afew hours - not days.

I don't know what you had before, but 'getting use' to new speakers is important. Most likely (as has been with a bunch of new Klipsch heritage owners) you are getting use to the matching clarity and the dynamics of the mid to high frequencies. Lots of cone folks do interesting things to their speakers to get the resemblence of more dynamics (damping tweeters, booming woofers, etc.) that are fairly much in your face and give them a bold sound. Some times you have to get use to the change when you increase efficiency and do less to color the sound.

Once you are broken in the rest resembles an addiction - welcome to our club...

If you don't have the removeable back, then you have to pull the woofer to do anything inside the cabinet....since it is the biggest cabinet-access opening there.

"Fred & Co" had absolutely nothing to do with the change...since it occurred in 1986, and Fred did not buy the company til a few years later.

The reason they went to the permanently mounted backs was for a cost-savings. Mostly pertaining to a labor-time costs. Once they went to drivers and horn lenses mounted in from the front of the cabinet, there was no need to have a removable back anymore. The network board would easily fit through the woofer opening, where it could be mounted to the inside of the cabinet, and its leads attached to the rear terminal assembly then the horn lenses and drivers could be installed, and leads from them hooked to network board, then just hook leads from woofer to network board and mount it in....no flipping over the cabinet or anything....no blindly feeling for lens alignment with the motorboard openings, etc....IOW... having the drivers mount into router-relieved openings from the front, there was no need to have the people in final assembly feel with one hand to ensure the horn lenses were properly aligned to the motor board openings, while snugging them down tightly with the other hand from the rear of the cabinet...saving a good bit of final assembly labor time in a day. When you add in the fact that final assembly folks no longer had to screw on a back, either, it saved even more final assembly time, not to mention the cost of a half-dozen or so wood screws, the time it took to pre-drill the holes in a back, and the necessity of having glue blocks installed in the rear of the cabinet for the back to mount up to. Since the relieved holes for the woofer and horn lenses cut into the speaker motorboard were made with a stepped router bit, the time used in routing out the openings remained the same as before. Result? A cut-back in about 30%+ of the final assembly labor time...with an additional reduction of labor time in the cabinet shop for predrilling the earlier-style backs and installing rear glue blocks and caulking their corners when building the cabinets.