Rega Plane vs. MBS-3. Time to put up or shut up

Mallette

I am warming to this. Of course, I'm happy with the CD playback I am getting and will not nor cannot predict what another person will hear. OTOH, I think it would be extremely instructive and interesting to find out just what an unbiased fellow listener might think.

The neat thing is that the Rega and MBS-3 can be truly A-B'd by taking the CD or CD's in question and ripping them to the MBS. Might even put them on a switchbox into the same line input on the preamp.

I'm ready to do this as soon as KJ can get over here.

Phone: 817.430.3662

Dave

Just noticed my wife is on the phone with her mother. Just come. Don't worry about calling as this could go on for hours.

Bring whatever CD player you have as well as a CD or so that you are familiar with so we can compare it on my 'horns and your Cornies as well as to the MBS3.

Should be instructive, definitely fun.

Dave

The audio server improved the CD playback on my system. I didn't reach for the volume knob when playing Cheryl Crow's "Steve McQueen at 80db. I hear a better high-end on the other CDs, too once copied to the HD of Dave's audio server.

I'm going to buy the M-Audio card and hook it to my PC and Outlaw. I'll be getting my repaired Dynaco PAS3 back in a couple weeks and I'll try all tubes w/the Audio server, too.

I'm also putting a new needle in my Grado Red and using the Denon DP790 for awhile.

I'll then explore pre-amp and turntable upgrades as needed.

I may also try a few more positioning tweaks with the Cornwalls (back in corners vs pulled out ~3' from each wall. I have them 2.5' from each wall now.

I like the imaging of my system today. The audio server improved the high end problem I've been complaining about.

I sure liked some of Dave's 78rpm (jazz, blues, and 50's R&R) recordings on the audio server.

I think the audio server was a notable imrovement on the high-end. I'll do more A/B's once I get mine. I can't comment on the comparision to more expensive CD/DVD players but it reduced my desire to buy one for the moment since the M-Audio card is only $110 and I already have an extra PC.

Thanks Dave!

I will neither make predictions nor commentary until after others have done so. As I've said all along, my reference for the MBS-3 sonics are live performances I've recorded and the fact that any CD I've ripped to HDD produces music that appears to me to be only limited by the medium itself. I've certainly no beef against any CD player at any price, but strongly believe that those of us who have issues with financing our passion for the highest quality music reproduction can use it more efficiently by going in the digital-analog audio server (DAAS) direction. That's especially true for vinyl lovers, as I've never heard a transfer to CD sample rate that didn't make me want to hear the disc instead.

Further, I've never hear a CD player of the Planet class or above under controlled conditions, so I'd be blowing out the 'ol YNW to say anything.

Eveybody wins a deal like this...

Spike, you out there? I'm home for the day. Gimme a buzz at 817.430.3662 or email if you're available.

Dave