cary slp 74

kev313

Somehow, Craig went from 'NOSvalves' to 'NOSvalues'.

SLP-74: Looks like a more affordable version of the SLP-94 variety - as both are Class A triode, and use the 12AU7. The SLP-74 uses an epoxy circuit board instead of point-to-point wiring, and is solid state rectified versus the tube rectification used in the higher end Cary stuff.

While my ears don't seem to have a problem with solid state rectification in amplifiers, I think it's important to get it in a preamp -- as it does add warmth. I tend to think point-to-point wiring is important as well, but for the life of me can't tell you why -- I think it's just 'mental'. However, a Cary is a Cary, and it's hard to imagine it not sounding great.

How much is the asking price?

I checked through my binder of material and comments from this forum and others. Kelly (Mobile Homeless) earlier commented on an initial post by tbabb, "Used Cary Pre-Amps - Need Advice - Direction".

He covered the SLP-70, 90, 94, 98 and AES AE-1. He did not mention the SLP-74.

70 - is a classic and can really sound nice and it usually nder $700 used with phono and external power supply. It is the only covered unit of the above. Uses 6SL7 in the line stage and 6SN7 in the cathode follower. Two 12 AX7 in phono. Here is the link to this preamp:

http://www.progressive-engineering.com/sale/cary_slp70_details.htm

Kelly seemed to prefer the SLP-98, 6SN7's in line stage and 12AX7's in phono stage, but more expensive, $1500-1800 range. SPL-90 uses 12AU7's in the line stage.

I don't know if this helps, but will provide some additonal information for your decision making process.

Yep, Yoda likes the 6SN7's in the line stage. Leo likes them as well.

I'm running Edmond's (Jazzman's) Cary SLP-90, which is really a SLP-94 (I still haven't figured this one out yet), and uses four 12AU7's for the line stage and two EZ81's as rectifiers. It's difficult to evaluate as compared to the AE-3 DJH (used 6SN7's) I just sold, since I made the amp change at the same time -- but the system as a whole sounds dynamite. Remember, it's just not the tube type, but the ciruit as a whole. Also, some of these nicer Cary's remove the transformer from the main unit into a separate chassis -- which surely lowers the noise floor. Evidently, this is the case as well with the SLP-74. Getting the power transformer AWAY from the main chassis should not be trivialized -- noisy bastards that they are.

I owned a Cary SLP-74 for about a month, I found it locally for a great price so I picked it up. It has a decent phono stage, separate power supply and 12AU7 tubes. I found the SLP-74 to be "dark" sounding-like with the proverbial "veil" over the music. I replaced the SLP-74 with a (Cary) AES AE-3 DJH version, which I found to be much more transparent than the SLP-74 and I liked it much better than the SLP-74.

This was my observation in my home on my speakers and amps...YMMV!

Thanks for the replies!

Dean, asking price is at $750, so I think I'm gonna keep looking. I have a line on a slp70 for $450.

Ed, How do you like that Syrah? I emailed Mick a few times but am unwilling to put out the $$ at this time.

Bill H.

Me no expert !! Just a guy with a soldering iron. When it comes to the rescent tube stuff I have no knowledge what so ever !! Vintage I know a little about.

Dean,

I really think that point to point isn't any better then circuit board the only place it is a benifit in modding or changing things tends to be easier with point to point. Also if you crack your circuit board and there not available your up the creek. I actually think in some ways circuit boards might be better !!

Craig

kev313,

I wouldn't hesitate to give the SLP-70 a serious listen @ $450.

I really love the Syrah but for the price I should, it is by far the most expensive component in any of my systems. I am seriously tempted to order a Pantheon from Jeff Lessard to drive a pair of his SET amps.