H/K 520 shutting off ???

chepo61

It hasn't been long since I bought my H/K 520 (end of january) and it has turned off by itself on two different occasions, the most recent being a few minutes ago while watching SHREK. My output level was @ -20db, mains set to large, the rest to small, sub being sent to both mains & subwoofer.

When I was "shopping around" prior to my decision on purchasing the H/K 520 I remember reading some posts on other forums (don't remember which) in which a similar question was raised, unfortunately as I said I can't remember in which forums. At the time, I didn't take the issue serious enough for it to chnage my final decision on my purchase.

I have seen a couple of members (m00n, orange peel) who have the same unit; have you guys had this experience before ? Any other owners of this receiver have any comments ?

Funny you should ask... I did have this issue when I hooked it up to some older speakers not long ago. But I figured out the problem. To make a long story short, my 520 normally is hooked up to my home theater where it's bi-wired to the two fronts and center. I reused the same speaker wire when connecting to my sanyos. What was happening was the second biwire which I was not using was not taped at the ends, thus, the two end were touching causing it to short out. At least I suspect that was the issue, once I taped the bare ends of the second bi-wire that I was not using for each speaker, it stopped turning off. Other than this, it has never turned off on me.

So, I guess what I am trying to say is make sure your wires are not shorting out. But then that may NOT be your problem.

m00n

This unit is very susceptible to power irregularities... I had no problem with mine, after I started running through a power line conditioner (Monster HTS800). Hope this helps...

BTW, HK tech support disavows all knowledge of this issue, even though I know it is a known issue that has been reported to them.

Thought you might hear from more HK520 users. If you suspect heat is a factor, you can place a fan behind the unit and let it play in tuner mode to see if it shuts off after playing an extended time as before. If neither heat nor any of the previously mentioned items are at fault, you should return the item if under warranty, or have an authorized service tech check it out.

Unfortunately, some units do have failures and faults.

Wes

My receiver is in a wooden "tower type" rack, it has 1/2" free space on both sides and 8" plus on the top, the back of the rack is at least 1 1/2 feet from the back wall. Do you think this is sufficient space for the air flow ? I have noticed that it runs much warmer/hotter (even at moderate levels) then my previous yamaha.

Thought you might hear from more HK520 users. If you suspect heat is a factor, you can place a fan behind the unit and let it play in tuner mode to see if it shuts off after playing an extenede time as before. If heat nor any of the previously mentioned items are at fault, you should return the item if under warranty, or have an authorized service tech check it out.

Unfortunately, some units do have failures and falts.

Wes