Rava vs. PS-1200

fivelitermustang

Which of the following woofers is probably the best value for your dollar?

My father wants to get a professionally finished woofer for the living room downstairs.

He was looking at these two drivers as they are in the similiar price range.

Adire Rava for $636.00 -> $707 after shipping and taxes

or

Paradigm PS-1200 for $690 -> $738 after taxes (available locally)

My dad is very hesitant to buy a Rava because he has never actually heard one. He listens to about the same amount of music and HT so he doesn't really know how it will perform in each situation. Is the Rava a decent sub?

He heard the PS-1200 and he said he absolutely loved it for HT. However for music he said it was a big laggy/boomy.

Of these two subwoofers which is the better one?

Rava won't have the same kick as the PS series bandpass (shiver, bandpass) boombox. But the Rava is a sealed 0.67Q Shiva with a 250W plate amp. It will have respectable output down to 30hz where it has a some what gentle but consistent roll off, but the sound quality will be great.

Should be able to get a better price than that on the PS1200. Infact if he can get is budget up to the mid $800CDN range the PW2200 would be possible with some haggling. Would be the option I'd recommend for him.

flm,

Lets compare them both for a second.

The Paradigm PS1200 is a bandpass subwoofer using a 12" woofer enclosed in a dual chamber bandpass box.AA bandpass design encloses the driver inside the cabinet,the only way it comunicates(radiates)the energy outside the box is done via ports.

Here lies the major problem,band pass works great when designed for a very narrow application.The PS1200(like its smaller brothers the PS1000 and now discontinued PS800)are muddy and one notey,no definition to speak of.No finesse,even for HT they lack definition

Someone in Toilet Peper Review said they sound great,well its BS.I have real experience with these subs(the PS800 was my first ever powered sub!)I wondered what was wrong untill I hear a Velodyne servo control sub.NIGHT AND DAY

The only good point about the PS1200 is its BOOM factor,with this giant boom box you get awes inspiring ear tear output around 30Hz.But what good is output without any finesse?Its a brute with no know how.

Now the Adire sub has less BOOM BOOM and is a much more refined subwoofer.No it will not match a Velodyne HGS18 is sub bass quality(only all out subs costing much $$$ can even match the HGS18)but its a good sounding and defined subwoofer.The driver is not sealed in some Boom Pass box.The cone radiates its energy directly in the space where you are.Faster,cleaner and above all a true pleasure to listen to.

If you want a "known" brand name take a look at the PW2200(again,I had this sub at home and torture tested it).

The PW2200 is in another league,its a vented design.More powerful and better quality amplifier.Damn just compare the PS1200 woofer and the reinforced PW2200 woofer.Ha a no contest

The PW2200 has good output across the board and good sound quality.

All considered go with the PW2200

In Canada this subwofer is cheap,goes for under $800 in many stores.

Look at fullcontactaudio.com  they sell the pw2200 for 670 with shipping and they are from Canada. 

--------------

This price is in US dollars, when cnverted at the Bank of Canada website, this comes to $983.43 Cdn. This is the same price you got from one of the places in Edmonton.