Pictures of $500.00 Cornwalls

01collect01

Dave - You're not going to find a lot of solid state fans in this forum. Your sx-1280 is very similiar to my kenwood kr-9600. Both mid to late 70s huge, powerful receivers (way more than the CWs need - can't turn mine past 2 on the dial without pictures falling off walls). I always thought my SS sounded great with my CWs but after spending some time on this forum I'm really curious to hook some tubes up to them and see what all the fuss is about. My only worry is I'll like it too much and start spending money behind my wife's back. BTW, my CTF-9191 tape deck matches your receiver. Look it up sometime.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Dave, garymd, there are a few SS fans here, but alas, we are the (unsilent) minority. I have to admit that there are a couple of us Mac MC250 owners, along with h/k 430 owners that swear by their SS amps/receivers! I really can't complain about the overall sound of my simple system, but I'd be a liar if I didn't admit that I am curious about vacuum tube amplification. There are even Klipsch owners devided over which tube amps to use, SET or PP. Someday I plan to take the plung into tubes (I have a small collection of antique vacuum tube AM only, AM/FM and shortwave radios, so I'm familiar with the warm sound), but I'll never sell my McIntosh...if a tube amp someday replaces it, I'll just use the Mac elsewhere.

I have heard that the sound of the sx-1280 is similar to the sound of tube models. Soft and not harsh. The cornwalls do sound a little harsh with a few of the recordings I have had a chance to

listen to. Most recordings sound fine. You can really tell the difference between a good recording and a bad one. One of the reasons I like Klipsch so much is their ability to faithfully reproduce source material. What was put in is what you hear. I have an old bogen tube amp that my dad gave me many years ago. It lights up but has no output. I may check into having it looked at. I will probably at least try the tube approach some time in the future, but right now I need to tone down my hobby a little bit for awhile. My wife is very good about my hobbies as I hers, but there is a limit. In the last 5 years I have spent thousands on stereo equipment looking for that 'certain sound'. I have had and sold Jbl l100's, 4312's, 4411's, Infinity sm122's, sansui spx7500's and spx9000's, bic v736's, klipsch kg3.5's, rf-3's, 2 pair of klf-20's, bose 501's, 301's. The combination of the chorus's and cornwalls is a sound I will probably not be able to improve upon short of buying Klipshorns which I will probably do in a couple of years. I like fishing and old cars too and have to spread resources around. My oldest is in her 3rd year of college and my youngest is 12 so I am finally reaching a point in my life where my wife and I can do a few things for ourselves. She likes horses and antiques. Thanks for the responses. This is a great forum with helpful and informed people. Glad I found it.

Dave