Dark Side of the Moon SACD

Parrot

• 2 weeks later...

I have The Dark Side of the Moon on cassette - bought back in the college/army days. I almost picked this up, even though I don't even have an SACD player yet (that may soon be remedied - seriously looking into that Pioneer DV-45A unit - despite the chroma-bug, which I would not see on my non-progressive scan TV anyway).

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Well, as far as the sound goes, first I guess you'll have to understand where I'm coming from. I have an extremely high resolution playback system thats capable of very high output in an acoustically treated room that was built around & tuned for the speaker system. I also have 2 copies of the original vinyl, Japanese & UK versions, the half-speed mastered Mobile Fidelity re-issues, the original CD, & CD imports as well, plus the gold plated CD re-issue from MF.

What I can tell you, is that the level (loudness) of this SACD is AWESOME. I don't have that many SACD yet. But this has to be the highest level output of any version, CD, vinyl or whatever. The first night I played it, I "turned it up" to where I thought it would sound awesome before the sound started. At the loudest parts, the sound pressure was averaging 108-110Db (peaks much higher). It was ear splitting loud. And unlike vinyl at those those levels, this thing remained solid & clear. The next day I gave it a listen at a more reasonable level which, quite frankly, I think sounded better. I can't stand it when a room starts to go into acoustic overload anymore I guess.

I've heard channel separation as good, even from my vinyl LPs (but you have to keep in mind the quality of the playback system). I have to admit that the MF gold plated limited edition reissue CD is pretty much the same quality. The main differences (improvements) I hear with the SACD are the leading & trailing edges of sounds. It seems you start to hear things maybe a measure or half measure sooner & longer than with any previous sources/releases. And this release also sounds the closest to the original & half-speed mastered LPs. Much more punch, slam, fullness & body to the sound. The CD's never seemed to convey the power in this music like the LP did. This SACD, has certainly overcome that. I found it interesting that Doug Sax (of Sheffield Lab Direct To Disk fame) did the mastering on this SACD. That might explain why it sounds so close to the vinyl.

So in summary, I guess you could say this SACD has the best of all worlds.

Ooooohhh, you have the Sony 777ES. That must be sweeeeet!! How I envy you! That and acoustically tuned room, etc. I don't have that kind of luxury, but the SACD in CD mode does sound excellent and yes, it does kick out the volume. I had to turn the volume down on my PM 5.1s a few notches compared to the Gold MF version I also have. Both are very good, but the Ultradisc might sound just a tiny bit better in the warmth, richness and perhaps detail, although that last item would only be by a hair.

As for SACD mode and with the dedicated Sony player? Like I said, it must be nice.