Selection of Capacitors for Klipsch Type "A" Crossover....

Cut-Throat

I am putting together a type 'A' crossover for my Belles. I currently have a set of Solen (Cheapie) caps in the 13uf and 2uf variety. Does anyone have any strong opinions of what variety of Cap will give the best performance?

I am not talking subtle here. The Solens are about 1/10 to 1/15 of the price of the Hovelands or Jensen Oils. Are there any other brands of caps that I should consider? - Thanks.3.gif

I think the cost of the various quality caps (Solen vs Hovland or Jensen) has more to do with the manufacturing process than the quality or performance. The metallized polypropylene uses a thin film deposition technique to apply metal to the PP, where the film and foil; and paper, foil, and oil use a wound layering of film and foil. I think the film and foil caps just cost more to produce. It seems the film and foil caps show the most improvement in the HF range and have a marginal if any effect in the mid frequencies. Using a Solen in the HF may work as well as a Hovland. I used Hovlands in the HF of the modified "A" I built and am very pleased. Al K. has probably tested both and may be a good resource. As you know I'm sure, cost doesn't always mean performance.

Randy,

If you referring to the old 'Acme' electronics on Washington Ave., they have moved to Hwy 55 in Golden Valley. They have not unpacked any of their capacitors yet. They are now called 'AEI' Electronics.

If you are thinking of another place, do you know their name?