How does this sound for a DIY sub?

cdsang

Well I have been thinking of building a sub. Well, not so much for me, but for a friend. How about a an Infinity Pefect 12.1 sub hooked up to an Adire AVA250 Sub Amp in a sealed or passive radiator box. I dunno what the price is on the sub, but I belive I can get it for less then Crutchfield sells it for. Also it helps to have that extra power handling for peaks and so it has a less chance in bottoming out. I can get the Kappa 10 inch for 90 bucks. Doing some math to help esimate the price would be 175 bucks each. The only thing it will be used for is music. And I don't think any classical music with pipe organs and such will be played. Also just a sub to play an easy 100 dB and maybe 105 all RMS. Any change in suggestions and/or advice would be wonderfull. Thank you in advance.

I'm not sure on the specs of that amp, but I built one similar to this. I had a 12.1 paired with a bash amp out of a Klipsch lf-10 sub in a sealed box. It pounded for music but really sucked for HT purposes. The main thing is to make sure the sealed box volume matches the driver's specs. Also, I wouldn't try to port it, as tuning the port is somewhat difficult. Also, like I said, I'm not familiar with the specs on that amp, but you might want to consider using a 12.1d, as it is dual voice coil and you could run it at 8 ohm.

Unless you can get it for less than half what Crutchfield wants I wouldn't bother. The Adire Shiva and Dayton DVC12" will both definately match if not exceed it for around $125 shipped.

If you want a little more capable driver go for a Dayton Titanic MKII 12" for $150. For roughly the same output but deeper in a smaller sealed box look at the Adire DPL12 for around $150.

And for what that Infinity is worth look at the Stryke AV12. Significantly more displacement and I think you can still get the preorder price on it of $165.

Also, powerhandling doesn't prevent bottoming. A Tempest can handle over 700W, but in an EBS allignment 250W will be capable of bottoming it. Pretty much every driver out there will bottom before you hit its thermal power handling limits. The exceptions being some extremely long throw drivers in small sealed boxes.

Ok, I didn't really read the post, but I saw mention of the Kappa 10... I did a comparison of all the SPL's of most Eminence 8, 10, 12, 15" woofers. The best for midbass to low bass (under 150Hz) was the DELTA-12LFA. These SPL's came off of the graph in the spec sheet, but the SPL's differ on the actual table listings on the Eminence page. Either way, The Delta-12LFA is only about $70 each, and is a 12" and is louder... just a thought.

OK, what if instead I used an SVS TV-12 and made a bass horn out of it tuning it down to 16 Hz. Would this make more sence?

I might jump down to the dB-12 and make a bass horn, but either way seems to be as long as I build the horn right, right?

Frankie's right, SVS doesn't sell stand alone drivers. Just replacement parts for damaged SVSubs.

Getting the horn right isn't a trivial exercise. But you're in luck since Tom Danley and Eminence were kind enough to design a bass horn for DIYers.

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/pshowdetl.cfm?&PartNumber=290-570&DID=7

There are links to the forum and to enclosure drawings on that PE page. Not an easy enclosure to build, but it will definately meet your performance goals with ease.