Pioneer Spec II Amplifier, Any Good??

colin d.

Hi, This is my first post here, and I am looking for some info on a Pioneer Spec II Amplifier. It will be used along with my Forte's I bought back in 1986. I am really a "rookie" when it comes to amps. I did a search in this forum and "google" and found very little info.

First of all, the amp was made in 1978 and has 250 watts per channel r.m.s. at 8 ohms. Its appearance is "outstanding",looks like it was just removed from the original box. The owner showed me the original sales reciept of $900.00 He said I could take it home for 24 hours, to try it out, and just bring it back if I didn't like it. He is asking $350.00 Does that seem to much? Has anyone used this type of amp with Klipsch speakers??

I have always had a receiver in the past, Onkyo. I would be useing this amp with my Forte's for 2 channel audio and maybe integrate it with my HT system. I know tube amps are popular with Klipsch, but I was just trying to dig up some info., good or bad, about this amp. Your opinions are appreciated! Thanks, colin d.

I have yet to listen to my LaScalas with tubes so all I have is SS. SS can be very sweet and controlled. If you had 24 hours with the amp, evaluate for yourself. I bet he would budge on that $350. I have seen the Pioneer SX1980 receiver going for over a grand which is 275 WPC. Good luck and let us know what you do.

I went and looked on ebay. One Spec II sold a couple of weeks ago for $600 - with lots of bids. Another with the matching preamp brought over $1300. So even if you don't like it, you should be able to "turn it around" without too much difficulty.

Now, if I could only do that with my RCA Select-a-Vision video disc player...9.gif

Only $300 depreciation over quarter of a century -- pretty impressive. Still, lot's of bucks for a run of the mill 70's era integrated. $350 certainly sounds more realistic than $600.

I'm assuming this is an integrated amp since you didn't mention anything about having a preamp.

Personally, I think 250 'Pioneer' watts is probably not what you want pushing those Fortes. Believe it or not, a very clean 30 to 50 watts will blow you out of the room. You should concentrate on cleaner, lower power. Just a wee bit more money, say closer to $500 -- gets you into an area that brings you leaps and bounds better than that Pioneer.

----------------

On 3/26/2003 8:56:05 PM DeanG wrote:

I'm assuming this is an integrated amp since you didn't mention anything about having a preamp.

---------------

Dean,

This is actually not a Integrated amp but a Power Amplifier.While I agree with you about the power being overkill on Klipsch there is no law that states you have to use all of it.

My 260 watt Yamaha doesn't come anywhere near its peak potential (closer to 40 watts peaks) but is the warmest,cleanest,amp I have heard with my Klipschorns.

Colin-I say go for it!.

What can you buy now-a-days that is built like this Pioneer for the asking price,and, if its not to your liking then you can turn a round and double your investment.

Its a no brainer in my book.

Jeff

I think Pioneer gear out of the 70s sounds exceptional with almost all my Klipsch.

I'm always rotating receivers in and out of my systems, and the 10 or so vintage Pioneers I frequently use, are my favorites.

It just something about them.

Looks aside, they really seem to offer great spatial qualities.

Intrestingly enough, no two receivers from the 70s SX or SA line share the same lay out.

In fact, they are all very different

Weird...

As far as mating the Spec amp with the Fortes, I cannot comment.

I haven't found a good enough deal one one yet.

I can tell you that the Spec amps have a very well planned topography and are built to last. IMO.

$350 is a decent price, especially given the circumstances in which your aquiring it

I would be willing to bet your going to be very happy with that amp if you mate it with a decent pre-amp.

Enjoy.9.gif

Thanks for all the responses,

This is why I give myself a "rookie" status when it concerns amps. Just for the present time, I was hopeing to be able to use my receiver, an Integra DTR-7, as a preamp. It does have pre-outs for 5.1,mains, center, surrounds and sub woofer.I would like to take my mains L-R outs, from the receiver to the L-R inputs of the amp. Then,I would use the seperate volume control on my receiver, for the volume, plus their is L-R volume control, on the amp. Whenever I would like to listen to 2-channel audio, I would just switch the receiver to the "stereo" mode. I know this isn't the best situation, but it would get me by until I could get a preamp.The present owner of the amp said it would work, and if I read the owners manual of the DTR-7 correctly, it also said it is possible. Your opinions,good or bad, are appreciated. colin d.