Who all here listens primarily to Classical music?

Deang

----------------

On 3/27/2003 6:42:11 PM stcaldwell wrote:

..."I have listened to Pipedreams for years... I am lucky as I am from Minnesota, where the show is produced. Very high quality FM, especially on my Yamaha T-85.

...Nothing like pipe organ on my Chorus/VMPS LSW combo!"

Scott

----------------

Scott, our NPR station in Tampa used to carry Pipedreams, and I used to contribute to their on-air campaigns. Then one year, they dropped Pipedreams from their Sunday morning programming...since then I no longer listen or contribute to them! How sad that the majority of Floridians could care less about organ music.

Andy, you probably do have that 2 LP set...it was very popular in 1978 when it came out.

Dave, I sent you an e-mail tonight!

OK Organ fans a little help if you please.

This is a somewhat strange question I suppose but what do I have?

I picked up an audiophile triple album of JS Bach that is a German Analogue Audio Association Edition Phonix recording entitled:

Weihnachtsoratorium!!!!

My German is non-existant. This is a choral and organ piece that is incredibly impressive and quite beautiful. I listen to it a lot but dont know what it is...

On another topic to whoever wrote that they dont listen to namby pamby stuff like Ballet and Opera I would suggest getting hold of a copy of Aida (Verdi), or The Ring of the Neibelung (Wagner), or, Don Giovani (Mozart) or an one of another 30 or so Operas that are anything but namby pamby.

As it happens my copy of Aida on Decca recorded at the Rome Opera house is by far and away the largest recording I own. It sounds as though there are about a thousand people singing in the background at times and you can almost feel the presence of the pyramids...

maxg, I don't recall ever hearing of this Oratorio before (and I thought I had). This is my findings on the Weilhnachts Oratorium, BWV 248:

This is a 150 minute Oratorio in 6 parts.

It was composed in 1738.

It was part of an extensive Lutheran musical service, possibly during the Christmas holiday.

This is what I get out of the search I did. Whether it's correct or not is beyond me. Forum member BerndH is from Germany...if anybody could find out, it would be him.

Sounds like a beautiful choral work...I'll have to see if I can obtain it.

Thanks JT!!!

Knew this forum would come up trums once again.

I did buy this because of the choral aspects rather than for the organ but it is a piece that can be enjoyed for both.

If you are interested in Christmassy choral works the most amazing I have is called Cantate Domino on Proprius (No: Prop 7762). It is, I think, recorded in Churches in Sweden and is a total bugger to find on vinyl (took a friend of mine, months to locate on for me).

Worth having if you can find it...

Mark:

I have four or five "The Planets" recordings. The best is William Steinberg and the Boston Symphony Orchestra (on vinyl, of course), Deutsche Grammophon Listing 2530102. Mr. Steinberg became Music Director of the Boston Symphony in 1968 while simultaneously holding the same position with the Pittsburgh Symphony, a first in the United States. The recording was made approximately one or two years later -- the date surmised from the album notes that discussed the currently running of the stage play "Hair" on stage in 1970.

If you can obtain a well-maintained copy (seldom played), you will like it a lot, I am certain.

All the best

Ken Lehr

Ken, that is a perfect recording of The Planets (I'm almost positive my dad has that particular LP)!

Mark, here's another CD of The Planets that's a bit different from the original orchestral version...Organist Peter Sykes transcribes the work and performs it on the 1933 E.M. Skinner organ at Girard College, Philadelphia. It's a 20-bit high-fidelity CD that makes you glad you bought Klipsch horn speakers! It's on the Raven Recordings label, OAR-380 (1996).

Check it out!