H/K 630 arrived today, couple questions.

Diggs

Need help on readying the unit. Getting a can of air and blowing out the dust is a first. Then I'll replace the fuses. I know it needs one light bulb. Where can I get one of these? Radio Shack? What are "volume pots" and how does one go about cleaning them? Any help would be appreciated.

"Pots" are potentiometers, a.k.a variable resistors. They are the component that your volume knob is connected to. You can clean it with electrical contact cleaner spray that is available at Radio Shack. As far as light bulbs go, the h/k's use the type that look like fuses. I'm not sure where to find them, as I need to get some too. I haven't really looked too hard though. If you find a source, let the rest of us know.

Diggs, does your 630 have any fuses on the inside? I didn't find any in mine. Just the 3 on the outside. After cleaning and replacing fuses, I still haven't hooked mine up yet to the K-horns yet. I've been hella busy and I just can't seem to turn the 299 Craig rebuilt for me off. I just love it too much to replace. I heard we might get snow on Sunday; sounds like a good day to stay in and play.9.gif

Digs,

If you did the search you might know this, but just in case, if you look at the volume pot(entiometer) on the inside, the part the shaft goes into (no comments from the peanut gallery please) has 3 connectors on it, and usually, there is an opening. This is where you want to spray...the inside of that pot. Talk to someone at your local electronics store or Radio Shack and ask for DeOxIt. I have a bottle of De-Ox-Id and a dropper with a needle. It doesn't make the mess the spray make. Or you can spray and then wipe of the exess. While still moist, work the volume control back and forth, that will help get the crud out and quiet them down.

Opened it up today to clean it, but it was spotless inside. Checked the fuses (only 3 of them, I also couldn't find anymore) and they are brand new. Mine seems to have a hum to it though 8.gif Something isn't ground correctly or it's that damn lamp cord I had to use to hook up the speakers with. Who designed the speaker terminals? LOL

Otherwise it's great. I'm impressed for $76.

----------------

On 4/4/2003 6:54:13 PM justin_tx_16 wrote:

there are actually like 8 fuses in there...

----------------

I think the 430 has more fuses than the 630. Me and another member could only find 3 that could be removed from the back. None on the inside.