help finding dvd player with built-in DD/DTS decoder

no1jmv

I am trying to help locate a dvd player for my friend. He has a receiver with 5.1 analog inputs so we are looking for a dvd player that has a built in DD/DTS decoder.

All I have found is the Toshiba SD-4800. It plays DVD-Audio and thus features a built-in DD decoder but no DTS.

Do you guys know of any models that have BOTH?

Thanks

I don't know how well this will be received around here, but I picked up a cheap DVD player from best buy for $59 bucks last month to fill the void in the basement.

It has really worked out well and is loaded with features including the DD/DTS decoders. In addition, it plays DVDs, VCDs, MP3s, CDs and CD-Rs/CD-RWs. Finally it has Composite Video, S-Video, Component Video, 5.1 Channel Analog, Optical Audio Digital and Coaxial Audio Digital Outputs alond with the traditional Stereo Audio RCA-Type outputs.

For the price, I think it deserves a look. Check it out

HERE for additional info.

Pat

I don't want to rain on a parade but I don't think that'll work. I had the same problem. When I first got my Toshiba DVD at the birth of the format(almost $600 back in 1998) it was DTS compatible but my Yamaha receiver wasn't. The Yamaha also had 5.1 analog inputs and I thought that the player should decode the data into something useful. I could never get anything but silence. I think that no matter what BOTH receiver and player must have the DTS logo. Anyone else have this scenario come up? I was under the impression that a digital connection MUST be used for DTS.

Thank you for everyone's replies so far. I found review on www.audioreview.com for the Panasonic RV-80 and people definely mention its ability to decode BOTH DD and DTS so models were made that do both, and you can decode on board and send the analog out. Perhaps you got a faulty model or forgot to turn something on in the onscreen menu?

Now the only problem is finding that player. None on e-bay and no results so far in locating it through an e-tailer. Any ideas or any other models?

----------------

On 4/1/2003 11:30:57 PM no1jmv wrote:

I am trying to help locate a dvd player for my friend. He has a receiver with 5.1 analog inputs so we are looking for a dvd player that has a built in DD/DTS decoder.

All I have found is the Toshiba SD-4800. It plays DVD-Audio and thus features a built-in DD decoder but no DTS.

Do you guys know of any models that have BOTH?

Thanks

----------------

Have you looked at the Denon DVD-1600? It's a top-flight model, built-in decoders for DD, dts and DVD-A included, no chroma bug, and earned the hometheaterhifi progressive DVD shootout's coveted 480p recommended award for performance and features. I have it myself mated with a Panny plasma and Denon 5803 receiver...the results are absolutely stunning. Good luck!

I don't want to rain on a parade but I don't think that'll work. I had the same problem. When I first got my Toshiba DVD at the birth of the format(almost $600 back in 1998) it was DTS compatible but my Yamaha receiver wasn't.

I believe that DTS compatible and DTS decoder built in a DVD player are 2 completely different things. The DTS built in Decoder should work on a DTS ready receiver (much like HDTV tuner and HDTV ready set). You are send the signal already split out and the reciever is just distributing and amplifying.

does this make sense? It makes sense in my head, just not sure it I put into words properly.