THX v/s DTS

vandec54

THX is not a format persay, it is a standard. DTS is a format like dolby digital.

DTS is 5.1 meaning you have 5 discrete channels. The .1 is the sub. You also have DTS-ES, meaning you have 6 discrete channels which would be the rear channel, again the .1 is your sub.

If I am mistaken on this, I hope someone comes along and corrects me. Don't want to be feeding you misinformation. 1.gif

THX is more of a DSP than a format, Dolby Digital is the standard, DTS is the upgrade, and then you can apply THX post pro to any of these. Unlike the 40something DSPs that are included in pretty much every reciever, like "hall, jazz, stadium", this one actually does sound pretty good, I personally love it, I think its base management is awesome.

I used to hate DSPs, I never thought they were good for anything, but I was really surprised by the THX dsp, SurrEX or Ultra2, and by Alpine's MX processing. IT really REALLY brings out the music in my car, it doesnt just simulate the surround by depressing the vocals, common of pretty much all DSPs, I dont know, but I really like it, thats one of the reasons why i'm considering only the 5803 or the 49txi for my system.

I too prefer DTS over Dolby Digital. The reason beng is that I can tell a diference in the clarity of the recording and I think it has better dynamic range.

THX is more or less a marketing ploy to me.

THX is not a format it is a "ceretification".

Certified by who? ..... THX of course.

What is measured to gain certification?

THX measures......

*The method the audio and video tranfered onto the DVD

*Your suggested screen size of your television and preferable viewing distance from your screen/TV.

More information can be obtained by clicking on www.thx.com

noone except lucas and respective partners knows what it takes to certify a speaker as THX certified. they have a non-disclosure agreement, so that if it were published, other manufactuers could simply meet that criteria and then say "hey my stuff meets it but its cheaper because I dont need to pay THX to lisence the name". Lucas Digital will test any speaker from anyone seeking to see if their stuff meets THX standards, afterwards, its up to them whether or not they get the "official certification".

Just to jump in here...

Dolby Digital 5.1- 5 discrete surround channels and subwoofer channel

DTS- same as DD5.1

DD-EX- matrixed 6.1 or 7.1

DTS-ES- discrete 6.1

THX-EX- 7.1 DD-EX

DTS is mroe dynamic, and is encoded as a higher bitrate. To me, it sounds much better. The quiets are more quiet and the louds shake the house. DD has a hiss... DTS does not.

(the above format comparison from memory... I think it is right. If not, oops. 2.gif)

I am a fan of DTS over DD whether it be THX or not. I wish more movies would be made with DTS. I can live without all of the useless extras. A couple can be insightful, but games and music videos are a waste of space. DTS definitely has more dynamic range and I find that the bass is tighter with greater impact.