Finally Got the Info on the 80's Khorns - Now Have ??'s

Frzninvt

I got the S/N's and crossover type on the Oak Oil Khorns that I will be picking up this Saturday. They are 1988 models I believe since the S/N's begin with "88" the S/N's are 1 number apart not sequential any problem with this? They have the AK-2 crossovers and the K-55M Squawkers. Is this a decent combination or should I keep my "AA" crossovers and K-55V's with the solder type terminals out of my Belle's and put the K-55M's and AK-2 in the Belle's prior to sale. Any real sonic advantage to doing this? Or should I leave the damn things alone. Did they use MDF in 1988 or was it still lumber core construction? Thoughts?

They will be plywood construction not MDF, my KCBRs built in '91 were. AK-2s are good crossovers close to the AK-3s in my '91s. I'd keep them. There was a discussion earlier regarding the AK-2 & AK-3 crossovers and the general concensus was that there wasn't much difference between the two.

Hobbit,

Do you remember where you read about the AK-2/AK-3 discussion?

From everything I read the AK-3 was a much better design and was heavily favored when compared to the AK-2.

Frzninvt,

If it was me and you don't sell the Belles for a some time I would try out those AA x-overs you have.

Those are one of the more favored across the Forum.

Jeff

yeah I thought the AK3 crossovers were by far better than the AK2. And were similar to the ALKs (the AK3 that is). The AK2 I'm told is the slouch of the bunch. I don't know if the AA would be an improvement or not. If you try them don't forget about the rest of the woofer crossover inside the woofer door.

Hope you enjoy them nonetheless!

Should be solid wood compressed/./...or REAL "Heritage" V.1 as some have argued, and not MDF. Before you get to messing with anything, let em play and the sound sink in your mind how they sound too. You might be surprised how nice they sound "as is".

The matching of serial numbers is important (ok me going out on a limb here)...as a way to tell what the wood pattern is matched to the other unit. Or at least that is what I have been told, yelled at, re told or suggested or on the board. Perhaps a better phrase is re worded "educated" to the facts..LOL.

Although not a big issue most of the time, if they are consecutive you have a matched pair. That said... I have a pair of heresies...not consecutive. I bought them new myself, off one number, whose wood looked better side by side with one another than the store picked out for me when I was 15 yrs old. I am now 41. (We opened a few boxes..LOL) On pair of K horns if they look like they match up nicely side by side THATS what is important from a wood grain issue. Hope this helps.