Here is an tip that could save you lots of money

m00n

Under no circumstances, ever Ever EVER move your DVD player while there are DVDs in it. When I was taking my theater appart so that I could do some remodeling I had a full tray of DVDs in my player I had forgotten about. All of a sudden I heard them go sloshing around in there. I had to take the cover off to unjam them... Well somehow in those little events I managed to *uck up my $500 DVD player. It's all out of alignment such that the tray can not open and close properly now. I took the case off to see what was up and the tray is now hitting the lazer assembly.....

7.gif7.gif7.gif

I don't know if it's worth the cost of getting this fixed or if i should just buy a new one. Damn Damn Damn.

oh my god, dude... thanks for telling me. We had a 5 disc sony CD changer that no longer works, it has the same tray opening/closing laser problem. Now I remember that I had left discs in there while I moved it around, several times. Anyway, if you can find an inexpensive solution, please let me know... I'd love to fix it.

Jim, yeah... "bad".

Ou8thisSN, will do.

Pisses me off to. I was pulling it out so I could hook it up to my projector so I could figure out where I need to build a mount to hang the projector. I wanted to shine a movie on the wall to get a good feel for distance and hight. I could go get my XBOX and use it, but now I am too bummed to care about it now.

Better to find out about it now rather than after my theater was all done everything hooked up and a few friends over to watch a movie... That would have just sent me over the edge.

m00n,

Sorry also to hear of your latest event..........how old is your dvd player? Think of it this way, labor is usually 45-60 an hour for repairs, so you can figure from there............good luck.

didn't ??? have a song called Bad m00n rising................?12.gif

From Crutchfield.com FYI

I think I am going to call Harman Kardon tomorrow and see if I can simply replace it with one of thier "Z" models (factory referbs). If I am lucky they will trade me straight across, doubtful but maybe. It very well could cost less than taking it into have it fixed.

One thing that worryies me about having this fixed is the fact that as I was saying, the tray as it swings around into position is hitting the lazer assemply, I am worried it may have been knocked out of aligment.

Or if it's simply going to not be cost affective to fix this, I may go with one of thier new DVD players. Gotta go check out some reviews on them.

That is why I have always taken the disks out of my players/drives when I am done. I always double check my gear to make sure there are no disks inserted before I move it. Back in the early days of CD-ROM drives, I have seen one get wrecked because the guy moved his computer with a disk in it. Also, you can sometimes ruin a disk that way, from it getting knocked around - it could leave a nasty scratch. They usually have stern warnings in the user's manuals about making sure there are no disks in the player before moving it.

Like what was said above - sometimes you gotta break a few eggs to make an omlet.

Some days, you are the dog - other days, you are the hydrant 6.gif

Hello everybody my first time posting. I had this exact same problem, I was moving the DVD player from one room to another and I went to carry it under my arm and the disk hit the back of the player. I saved 4 out of 5 disk and killed play it to the bone DVD after that the movie skipped like school girls playing jump rope so i put it back in the sleeve and dropped it off at the video store never to be seen again. When I opened the back up it was no joke getting them out.

Moon your luck is like mine. BAD. I dislocated my shoulder, had three surgies. Then I was told I can't go back to work. Then I got kidney stones. Then I got rear ended. Then today some lady dropped a twelve pack of coke right next to me and they sprayed all over me. I have just about given up.

Good luke Moon and I hope your luck will turn soon.