questions on Scott

kjohnsonhp

Check this unit out

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=3280&item=3016572302&rd=1

Questions:

1. Is this the type of unit and price that would be a good buy?

2. Even on a nice stock unit like this would you still want to have it modified and restored?

3. How much cash would one expect to budget on a unit like this for mod/restoration.

4. How does this unit sound compared to a restored ST-70 and AES-3?

5. Does this unit require buying a phono stage?

Here's one missing the cabinet.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=3280&item=3015961416&rd=1

Is this one of notably less value than the other? Or, do both need a restoration job so other than the case the lower the price would be better?

The Scott with the Frazier Mark IV's might be a great value for a 2-channel system.

The first one went cheaper that it would of normally and Moon passed it up !! He was watching it !! Did you buy it ??

The second one is a fine unit also. I figured the first one would go for over $300.

They ALL NEED REBUILDING can I be any clearer than that !!

I'm not quoting prices on here. Its not the place to be doing business. Email me if you want further info !

Craig

kj,

I wouldn't worry about the cabinet value. There is an aftermarket cabinet available for about $40 in any color you want. The big unknown is always what tubes are inside and what shape are they in. These units polish up very nicely with a little bit o' patience and elbow grease. If you are considering using Craig to restore this one or another similar piece, consider this my strongest recommendation to do so. My 299 sounds and looks wonderful.

Regards,

Chris

I guess I assumed they would all need updating so I didn't want to spend too much on the stock unit. I got outbid with less than 10 seconds.

I probably should resume my focus on a pre-amp to give my ST-70 a full eval. I need a phono stage so I was thinking of doing a Curcio mod to my PAS 3 or buying an already modied unit.

I've been looking for a Wright or Cary SLP-70 but haven't seen one yet.

I think ideally I'd like to have one of these new pre-amp with a bypass for connection to a HT receiver.

I'm just slow to want to spend $1k on a pre-amp.

I think my system sounds pretty impressive for movies, but I would like to improve the CD playback which I assume will require a tube pre-amp and a source other than my DVD player.

I was originally going to use a Denon 3803, but now I'm looking to use the 1050 for HT and a tube system (St-70 & PAS3 mod--or should I just use an integrated amp) for 2-channel along with my Denon TT/Grado Red, M-Audio sound card and late 80's Sony es CD player (for starters).

What kind of shape is your ST-70 in? Those are very nice units. Have you considered sending it to Craig for a tune up, or have you done this already?

The 299's are nice, but so is the Dynaco stuff. I don't think you can get a fair appraisal of the ST-70 until you get a decent preamp in front of it. Where are you coming up with the $1000 figure -- there are two AE-3's on Audiogon right now selling for less than $400.

The following thread might be of interest to you and Craig both.

http://db.audioasylum.com/cgi/m.pl?forum=tubes&n=44167&highlight=wiring+in+triode&r=&session=

I haven't jumped on the AE-3s because I want a phono stage....I would still need to buy another box for phono with the AE-3 which is ok but they aren't cheap either.

How about a heavily modified PAS3 with phono?

My ST-70 could benefit from mods but it has been tested and restored with Music caps, new Harmonix tubes, put a cap under the can, new rectifier, etc. The one big thing I didn't do is convert it to Triode mode.

If Dave would get his Van Alystine fixed I could A/B it to that to see how much more potential I could get.

I can get a PAS3 with modified circuit for under $400. The mods were supposed to make it sound like a $1500 modern pre-amp but the mods were done 18 years ago and who knows what the mods where other than quality caps, disable tone controls, better volume knob. It was done by a tech at at hifi boutique in NY.

If they were done recently I'd feel better. A lot has changed in 18 years and I assume I'd still have to check all the tallarances.

The price seems too high eventhough it might be a good unit.

If it was a know mod like Curcio it would have more perceived value.

Obviously the owner thinks it sounds like $1500 pre-amp....

There are many Dynaco owners that are using the Foreplay. It seems the Foreplay is much better than a stock PAS but with the Curcio mods the PAS chasis can used for a modern pre-amp sound. The problem is that I believe the mods would put the parts price around $600 but it least it has phono where that would be another box on the Foreplay. I guess that's what made a $700 SLP-70 look interesting.

KJ,

I did every Mod I have heard of to my Pas 3 short of replacing the circuit boards and I still find it less the Stellar ! I would not invest money in it any further its just not worth it. Your ST-70 would benifit better from dumping the stock front end before running the outputs in triode. The front end board and weak PS filtering is the ST-70's weakest links.

Craig