LaScalas

dodger

Hello Again:

Well it seems that I can answer the question of whether the "Heritage" line of LaScalas vs the new are at all preferred. The new takes it (with apologies to superfreak whose email to me wound up in my bulk file.)

In attempting to sell a set of LaScalas, vintage '70s, Birch outside, black inside with grilles for mid and tweeter, I received 2 replies. I have WebTV and no digital camera so I cannot post a pictiure. Home use only powered by McIntosh tube - no clipping or distortion. Cabinets in exc shape, Rochester, NY. So I will be trading them in to get RF7s. We had an ice storm and I got a week reprieve.

Any negs on the RF7s?

Well I have received a few emails supporting the Heritage LaScala.

I appreciate the input. In truth I would like to sell one set of LaScalas

change to the better x-over and possibly get the RF7s. My dream world. If anyone is interested in one set and can give me info on shipping, so that I could be realistic (one place quoted $500.00, since I don't have the boxes. I'm a realist and don't want to take someone to the cleaners. I want them to have a good home. To note, all email support the heritage LaScalas.

________

4/8 If anyone can give me a better way to ship (lower cost), I'm open. Or better yet, pickup would be great. I was quoted $480 (seems too much to me too, but I haven't come up with an alternative.) They still are available and I'm open to suggestions that will not damage them. They're like children going off to college so their brothers can improve (x-overs).

Why in the world would you want to trade in La Scala's for RF-7's? Are you downgrading or just dont have the room for the 4 La Scala's? There is no doubt in my mind the La Scala is a better speaker. I have heard the RF-7's in a 2-channel and Home Theater environment, while they are very nice looking and sound really good, they are by not better than the La Scala. I am also fairly certain the dealer is not going to give you a bundle for them either. If you are going to use the RF-7's in a separate 2-channel system and not with the other pair of La Scala's and possibly the Chorus II's that is a different story. However, if they are for the home theater it would be foolish not to go all Heritage speakers for the best timbre matching you would certainly not be disappointed. To each his own I guess.

I'm broke, or I would've considered your La Scalas. But for the life of me, I wouldn't trade the La Scalas in for the RF-7's, especially since you're already into Heritage horns. Of course, you may have a special use for the RF-7's not related with you Heritage. Just now noticed your signature...are you eventually selling all your Heritage loudspeakers for the Reference Series? Usually it's the other way around, but whatever floats your boat. Hopefully someone else who appreciates your Heritage loudspeakers will take them off your hands.

dodger,

Do you have corners for the RF-7s? That makes a big difference. I find they need corners to develop full power in the mid-low end.

You will probably find from 2KHz down they are not as fast as the LaScalas, but 2KHz up is exceptionally clean and if you wish, I can help you with a very minor adjustment that will (in my estimation) flatten the hf response. The lower bass is good .. no need for a sub except for a few real low notes and sonic booms.

I am interested in why you're making the trade, because I've considered the LaScalas .. too bad we don't live closer .. we could simply trade for a while.

What I like most in the RF-7s is the clean high end and good low bass. What I wish I had is the speed and dynamics of 100% horn sound.

leok