ONE LAST DENON 3801 QUESTION

T2K

Convinced the wife I had to have the Denon 3801 receiver.But I read in a review somewhere that you could not use both S-video

and composite inputs with this receiver.It would not switch between the two.Is that correct?Been out of the audio loop for a few years and am wondering if anyone has any opinions as to whether this reciever is capable of handling any and all of the newer formats that I may be interester in upgrading

to in the future.Stuck in the analog past. Any help is appreciated.

Keith

Keith,

A good forum on the 3801 can be found at http://pub7.ezboard.com/faussiedvdandhtforumfrm14 There is also a forum on the 5800 here too....follow the link in the list at the bottom.

I have the 5800 and you can't

switch between different

video outputs rather svideo to svideo, component to component, composite to composite. There is an answer. You could use adapters available at Radio Shack that

will convert Svideo to composite or the other way around. No answer for component that I

know of. Hope this helps.

Bart

quote:

Originally posted by talktoKeith:

Convinced the wife I had to have the Denon 3801 receiver.But I read in a review somewhere that you could not use both S-video

and composite inputs with this receiver.It would not switch between the two.Is that correct?Been out of the audio loop for a few years and am wondering if anyone has any opinions as to whether this reciever is capable of handling any and all of the newer formats that I may be interester in upgrading

to in the future.Stuck in the analog past. Any help is appreciated.

Keith

I have the 3300 and have heard people say the same thing about it. I don't think I fully understand what everyone means. It won't take a composite input and output s-video or take an s-video input and output composite. but I have my DVD player running an s-video to it and other sources running composite in. Then I've run the composite out to video 1 on the TV and the s-video to Video 2 on the tv. Sure you have to switch the input on the TV but a good remote with macros could do that for you. (I use the Pronto) This way there are no converters needed, and you get the on-screen display on all your sources.

Keith,

FWIW - I have the NAD T 761. It will take any Component or Composite Video input and output to S-Video Monitor Out. Also, any signals fed to an S-Video input will be available on both S-Video monitor out and Video Composite Monitor Out.

The receiver affords me the ability to have these signals available for either monitor out connection. However, I have don't see a means to switch (say on the fly) between these signals while using one source component, if that's what you're interested in accomplishing.

ShapeShifter