speaker thiele parameters for Cornwall

bsacco

I'll give it a try. What is your cabinet interior volume? In a perfect world we have to account for the volume dispaced by the speakers, crossover, and port structure. But people sometimes just figure that is 10% of the gross value, just as a beginning.

You may be out of luck in that a small cabinet can't be just designed around with a port and still have favorable results. Otherwise the factories could and would do the same.

Gil

You might be interested to know that there was an article in Audio magazine years ago that was written by Thiel, describing the, then, newest computer-aided design techniques for vented box loudspeakers. He mentions that only one domestic loudspeaker existed that was designed near absolute optimum. He describes this speaker without mentioning any names. But its obviously the Klipsch Cornwall. I wrote PWK a letter regarding this. And PWK wrote me back! It turns out that the above was in fact true. Furthermore, PWK said that one of his engineers had pointed out to him that the CW was actually off by 3% of optimum size/venting, etc. But as it turns out, the computer models ultimately couldnt do any better than 3% either.

By going to a smaller cabinet and keeping the same size (meaning diameter) port, you will have to make the port length longer. That is often not practical in a smaller cabinet, BUT you could go with multiple smaller ports that wouldn't have to be as long. I believe using multiple smaller ports means the venting won't be as effecient but at least it won't sound as boomy!

Like WFGM requested, post some specs and we can help you out.