YAY! NEW LISTENING ROOM!

prodj101

ok, I convinced my mom to let me turn my bedroom into a listening room, and I think it will work out quite nicely. I will be using the RF-5's with my B&K pre amp and Mcintosh power amp, and maybe the RSW-15. the room demensions are 12x11, and yes, I know to some of you that is tiny, but to me it's almost perfect size for a dedicated listening room! It has a vaulted ceiling on one side. I don't know though, the windows might pose a problem because they are directly behind the listening position. but anyway, now I'll have room to mess around with placement a little and set up my turntable and what not just as I please! 9.gif9.gif9.gif

Heck, that ain't too bad. That's about the same size area I listen in with my RF-7's. The only difference is I have no wall behind me. Well, there's a wall, but it's 20 feet away.

Hey dude -- near field listening is the bomb.

Set your chair or couch right against the wall under the window, and use a small pillow behind your head while you're jamming -- and that window will be a non-issue.

Ready for the magic 'Reference' formula?

Start in the corners, toed in about 35 degrees. Move them out 16 inches. The front baffle of the speaker will be about 20 inches from the side wall, and the rear of the speaker will be about 17 inches from the side wall. They should end up almost 7.5 to 8 feet apart (middle horn to middle of horn). You'll be 10 - 12 feet back depending on what wall you put them on.

Remember, it's a game of inches. Seriously.

If you get some goofy room node thing going on in the bass -- moving them as little as 1 inch either closer to the wall, or away from the wall will get rid of it.

Do minor adjustments on the toe in until the horns are actually pointing at a point slightly behind your head.

Magic.

thanks for the tip. I'll experiment with that tomorrow when I get home from school. Right now I have them pointing directly at the listening position , each baffle about 10 inches from the side wall. I'm getting some acoustic foam crap so I can get rid of the side wall reflections. my room is drywall and a hard wood floor so it is sorta resonant, but not that bad. I think after I get everything tuned in just right it will be great. damn, that RSW-15 sure is a b!tch to haul up the stairs though 14.gif dean, I think there may be a prob with your placement suggestion though. the right channel is in a corner that has a chimny, so the wall looks like this -----L minus the top of the "L" than the speaker goes in the corner formed by the bottom of the L and the wall. this causes it already to be a good 1.5 feet into the room and I don't want to sacrifice that much more space/can't.