rsw-15 and eq's

Toxic Mule

If I got an eq that would allow me to add more dbs under 30hz, what could i expect out of my rsw-15. Would it help much or is the rsw-15 just too weak. I love the sound of the rsw subs, but would like a little lower extension with power.

Initially I purchased a rsw-12 to go with my rf-3 surround system, loved it but wanted more. So I went and auditioned the subs in my price range where i live. I had narrowed it down to the servo-15 and rsw-15. Really couldn't decide between the two, but when i found out the only servo-15 in stock was the floor model I took the rsw-15. Got it home, loved it ever since. Yet, to get enough low end output I had so much volume coming from my 12 and 15, that i had difficulty making out dialogue, so i sold my 12 to a friend. Now I'm wondering what an EQ might do for my quest.

p.s.-i thought the servo-15 would just blow the rsw-15 away with its low extension, but I personally didnt find this to be the case. After listening to some dvd action scenes and some music dvds(including my NIN dvd-ah yeah!), I still couldnt make up my mind. Maybe I just dont know what to listen for or maybe they didnt have teh servo set up correctly? Although I did like the sound of the paradigm floorstanding speakers(for music only) better than my rf-3s and the rf-7s they had set up...oh well. Sorry for so much babble, but you guys know much more than I about this stuff...help me plz. ty

depending on your room size, I might or mihgt not reccomend doing this. to add power to the the 30hz and below range will be very taxing on the amplifier, so if you are running it in a big room and at high power right now, you run the risk of causing damage or ending up bottoming it out. but if you ahve it in a smaller room, I don't think it would be a problem.

One thing you could do is get one of the Behringer EQs and give that puppy some boost at those lower frequencies at which your're experiencing some roll-off ( e.g., for my KSW-15 I've got one of the parametric filters on my Behringer UltraCurve set at 20 Hz, + 8 dB boost, with a fairly sizeable Q value). There are some other tricks you can do with the Behringer also, like with the shelving factor...

Seems to work for the KSW anyway....1.gif

MAY,2002,SOUND AND VISION,The rsw 15 is one of the best measuring sub woofers we've ever seen,Tom Nousaine.The rf7's made inner elements somehow more immediate,more clear edged,something I've noticed from excellent horn speakers like 50,000.00 a pair studio monitors,Tom Nousaine.I don't know much about Tom, but I do agree.

Well it's a known fact that the RSW-15 has a very clear hard kick, and belts out some mean volume in the 35hz-80hz range. The RSW-15 does extend down to the 20hz area, but with volume that most HT lovers won't go for, personally the RSW-15 hits cleanly to 25hz with good impact (100-105db) that is personally enough for me in my living room, except im now spoiled by the physic defying, beast that is the SunFire signature.

A word of caution, as many of you know, every 3db boost in volume is a doubling of power... So assuming your 1000W sub is fed a std Pink Noise signal and you have a 9db boost at 20Hz, the sub will reach it's max with only about125W being fed to the non-boosted frequencies!!! (I realize there are other factors such as % of musical content in the boosted frequencies versus total content... but it's just a close simplification)

A parametric EQ can help performance more by reducing any frequency which is being "amplified" by room resonances... therefore giving you sub a flatter response. This will improve its lower frequency response even if it at first seems counter-intuitive. Let me give you an example... lets say your room has a natural 10db peak at 45Hz. When you adjust your subs level (measured or by ear) it'll seem to be at the same volume as your mains when the 45Hz peak is slightly louder than main speakers... lets say 4db louder. This will leave the rest of the subs response 6db lower than your mains... If you cut the 45Hz peak down, you will be able to raise the volume of the sub without drowning out your mains.

Remember though, a 45Hz peak can add a lot of kick to your music and it could take some getting used to if you cut it down to a flatter response.

Hope it can be of some help...

Rob

PS: I'm not sure about the AC3 version of NIN DVD, but my DTS version has a lot of mid-bass but very little low-bass (several songs only)...