Stereophile and Horns

Audio Flynn

This was posted to General so i thought i would copy it here since it is so funny.

Creative writing #1

Editor:

Congratulations on the hiring of Art

Dudley. In his very first column, in January,

he mocked "poor people." In the second,

after casually insulting first "creationists,"

then political conservatives, he manages to

fill about three pages with what basically

amounts to a promo for Avantgarde horn

loudspeakers. Three pages on horns, with

nary a mention of Paul Klipsch or his

speakers? Now that is my idea of "creative

writing."

Doug McCall

Nevada, MS

Jdmccall56@aol.com

Stereophile April 2003 letters to the editor

I read Stereophile for the music reviews and Sam Tellig primarily.

A few times the Fremmer vinyl comments are good.

Althought sometimes his cartridge selections are absurdly expensive like the wire and cable recommendations.

But like most non-fiction written material if 10-15 % is new and interesting than it is worth the read.

I would not have bought my MSB Link II DAC without reading the Stereophile review.

Of course the review was for the Link III and I bought the Link II used as a demo from www.audioadvisor.com

And the DAC is awesome with the Chorus II and LK-48!

But they did not review the amp and speakers...par for the course.

----------------

On 4/18/2003 4:01:39 PM justin_tx_16 wrote:

I thought he posted on this Bulletin Board...

jdmcall

According to the bulletin board he does'nt and has never posted... am I crazy?

----------------

Justin,

No, you are not crazy. Or at least, you're no crazier than the rest of us. 2.gif Here, I've always been "James D", or "JDM". But I actually go by "Doug" in my other life as a quasi-normal person. It is my middle name, but has always been what I've gone by. {words of advice to prospective parents: make your childrens first name the name you intend to call them by. you'll avoid a lot of confusion later-HA}

Agree with the Stero"pile" comment wholeheartedly.

The rich elitists of the world, known in some circles as the "big money guys" may not find Klipsch speakers and vintage, or inexpensive tube gear "sexy."

Was traveling last month and graced the doorway of a "high end" audio store. I overheard a sales pitch to a well appointed gentlemen wering tassle loafers who had just walked in from his BMW. He was holding a copy of Stereopile. He was being sold a $15,000 solid state amp of some kind...whoa! Some brand I never heard of.

I told the sales guy I was looking for a CD changer for extended play during parties, etc. I heard Rotel made a pretty decent one. He asked: "What speakers are you running?" Upon hearing "Klipsch Forte IIs" I was ushered into the cheap room where some of the used trade-in crap was for sale for more than it cost new. You know, 10 year old Sony CD changers, etc. I of course left. There was a table of old Steropile back issues for sale, I noticed, as I departed.

Oh well...hey, it's sound that counts. Doesn't need to cost $15K to be sexy.

Mike 10.gif

nice letter Doug,

you can call me by my middle name, Colin, anytime - as long as you send me to the cheap room ...

people with too money and too little brains deserve to pay $15,000 for their stereo components!

Colin,

Thanks. The name thing is no big deal, really. It's just that everything / everybody always asks for your first name. You know, things like credit apps, driver's license's, whatever. So it's just a little aggravation that could easily be avoided. For instance, have you ever signed in at a Doctor's office, using your first name, middle initial, blah blah blah, just like they always ask for, and then when your name is called, you sit there, dumb as a post, because you're just not conditioned to respond to that name?

Oh well, enough already!5.gif