speaker size setting

donziman

I agree with Diggs. It's most important that you please yourself.

I've been reading alot of receiver manuals on the net since I'm in the market and some of them call for anything with a diameter smaller than 8" to be set to small. But I imagine that is just general info because most people have cheaper speakers.

Alot depends I suppose on how good a subwoofer you have, because setting you mains to small sends most of your bass to the sub.

Maybe not a good idea if you have expensive mains and a crap sub. Like me. 2.gif

actuall with the rc 3 you should set the speaker to small, yes it is what sounds best to you, but the 3 is weak in mids and bass, and if you have your other speaks picking up the slack than the 3's can do what they do best, i used to have 3's, and i asked the same question, and through i did see that when they were trying to push the same levels as the fronts they just sounded weak12.gif

Another important factor is the Bass Management capabilities of your receiver or Pre-Pro.

If you have a sub that is ADEQUATE in its ability to reproduce Low Bass and/or Low Frequency Effects (LFE) content which is incorporated in many of today's DVD's and music discs. Plus, your receiver or Pre-Pro affords you flexible Bass Management settings, then you may well want to set your speakers to small (talking full range here), and choose a crossover setting that redirects the Low Bass and LFE content to that sub.

This also lightens the load on your amps and the speakers, because they're free to reproduce less stressful LOW BASS and LFE content which can easily be accomplished by an ADEQUATE sub. Bass sounds are generally considered non-directional, so when a sub is properly placed & calibrated, its location and sounds are not evident.

Key elements in determining Speaker Settings are: An ADEQUATE Subwoofer and the receiver or Pre-Pro's Bass Management Capabilities. Finally a PROPERLY CALIBRATED System brings it together for a completly immersing movie and musical experience. When these elements of a set up are met or exceeded, speakers set to small is the ideal setting.

• 2 weeks later...

i also use the 'small' setting because doing so allows me to set the mains(klf-30's) @40Hz roll-off-to-sub, and c-7 ctr. and ksp-s6 surr. @60-70Hz roll-off-to-sub. for whatever reason, if i select 'large', i can't set the main speakers frequency they receive as low. i use and enjoy my RSW-15.

i agree w/shapeshifter, as well as see how it sounds.

avman.

AVMAN,

It's a definate plus to have flexible bass management settings for each channel like your receiver affords. I was initially upset when I realized that I ran my mains large because my KSW-12 wasn't adequate to handle the Low Bass and and LFE when my mains were set small. Finally had to bite the bullet and get an adequate sub. Adding the SVS & setting speakers to small definately made a big difference.

Wish my receiver had your Bass Management flexibility.8.gif

thanks ss,

burr-brown d to a converters, 's'-fin technology to keep the heat sinks from resonating, 32 bit floating decimal point sharc processors, premium gold capacitors throughout,

parallel push-pull output transistors, firmware flash-upgradeable via rs-232 port...sorry, i'm proud of my strda777ES. it is my born in japan 63lb. 'baby'

btw-was blessed w/the ability to buy a second one for my dad last Christmas, and upgraded his to v 2.02 for 6.1 surround capability just like mine.9.gif