1984 klipschorns

Craighorn

Gentleman : I have a line on buying a pair of 1984 Klipschorns with the AK-2 crossover and metal tweeters. How do these rate in the overall family of K-horns ? They are even in my wife's favorite oak finish. The asking price is $3000 ... but the seller is taking offers. Any advice would be appreciated. Thank You.

I personally think that $3000 is too much! I would think something more along the line of $2000 or less would be more in line. The only reason that I would spend more is if they are done in some exotic veneer and in absolutely flawless condition or if they were personally signed by the man himself (PWK). I would try and get them for less for sure.

I agree with Frzninvt on the price, IMHO that is way too high. If they are local and you can avoid shipping costs that may be worth a few bucks extra bucks to you.

As for the AK-2's that is a much discussed subject. If you do a search in the "Updating Older Speakers", "2-Channel Audio", "Odds and Mods", and "Techinal Questions" forums I'll bet you'll find enough reading to spend several hours learning what folks in the know think.

Thanks guys... any more advice is appreciated from what I have seen so far, This forum is the best around. I have owned speakers from VMPS, Legacy, Def Tech, Koss 1020 ( circa 1979 ), Boston A-400, Infinity IRS Sigma ( still own.. anyone interested ? ), Electrovoice Interface C ( closest to klipsch ), Psb Stratus Golds, Mission Argonauts and several others... and my Belles and Cornwalls make music, not hi-fi ... my lovely wife, who only comments on what she hears... LOVES klipsch...

Craighorn, if you purchased them and did not care for the AK-2 crossover network, one of our forum members has an alternative to the AK-4 upgrade kit from Klipsch. He has custom designed ALK crossovers that are built from some of the finest caps and coils that would make a tremendous improvement. The design is obtainable from his website if you wish to undertake the project yourself or you can contact him directly. Al Klappenberger is his name and he has been a great resource on this BB.

Actually Doug, I would honestly not change anything on them until you get the chance to hear them once they are in place. The "A" network is simple in design and actually along with the "AA" is one of the favored models. If anything if you wanted to tinker with them after you have had them for awhile you could upgrade the crossover components on the "A" network to more modern high quality components. There was a thread and a photo of someone who has already done this and it looked very nice! I will see you this Friday when you pick up your Khorns and I pick up my La Scala's Woo Hoo! I am psyched! 9.gif9.gif9.gif

See ya then, Charles.

Doug

P.S. '88 Klipschorn's (OO) (Mains) Shouldn't this read (Maines) haha

, Infinity RS4's (OO) (Additional Mains), '78 La Scala (BR) (Center), '78 La Scala's (LB)(Rears), '89 Heresy II's (WO)(Side Surrounds), a/d/s L300C (Rear Effects), Velodyne F1500R & DBX 3830 Subwoofers, and Lots of Outboard Power! :)