Tube Amp - what to get

Vladi

Keith: I'd agree my experience is the exception. Understand, this is a true dilemma... even with the buzz I can't quite convince myself to sell just yet. The sound quality is just so good, no listening fatigue, just sweetness.

----------------

On 4/24/2003 10:12:32 AM NOSValves wrote:

Tom , Mace and others ,

Ed asked me what to sell his amp for and I advised him $350 even though it was full of original tubes which we all know is very cheap for a rebuilt 299 !! The amp sounds great but has a real mild BUZZ (not hum). Could I fix this Buzz YES !!! How long would it take .... put it this way I spent 2 days trying and got it where the amp is usualable. It was horrible when I got it back here. I did all this for Free and had to cut my losses I was getting behind on paying customers ! Don't get me wrong I'm not complaining just saying you have to cut your losses somewhere.

I have offered Mace to send it back once again now that he knows of its sound potential if he has enough pateince to allow me to try this and try that in my SPARE time I will find the problem (without bugging me
"<a
http://forums.klipsch.com/idealbb/images/smilies/2.gif"> ). But pesky problems like this you have to try this and that and walk away when frustrated to get a new perspective sooner or later the problem will present itself.

Craig

----------------

As to the tubes: They are all Telefunken pre-amp tubes and Amperex output tubes, although Craig provided some different (no idea what) tubes to try for the output. Per Craig, the Telefunken and Amperex tubes are original.

Hum/Buzz.. whatever it is. I did notice that the transformer has an audible buzz as well, when I put ear near it. Tonally, it sounds a lot what's coming through the speakers. Obviously I'm a newbie at tube amps but I wonder if the transformer is questionable and causing this. The hum is present at the same SPL level even when all knobs were turned everywhich way. In other words, I tried every input selection, tried all mix of channels (A+B, mono etc.), all tonal levels, all volume levels and balance. The hum was there in both channels. Wouldn't this mean the hum isn't in the pre-amp section??

I appreciate the offer to take another look at the cans and transformer! I'm not sure what I'm going to do yet. I'd like to get ahold of a replacement transformer and install myself to see if that does the trick. Or, I may just clean it up and sell it. Maybe I'll keep it as is. Dunno yet. My dilemma is I don't really want to sink more cash into it and I don't want Craig to spend a bunch more time on it either, but I would like to track down this slight hum. I already feel guilty about paying next to nothing for parts and shipping for 2+ days work!!

Sorry for hijacking the thread. Bottom line is, if you go with a Scott, there is wealth of help here (i.e. Craig and the other owners). Even with a "lemon" it isn't a foregone conclusion to sell it... it sounds that good!

Mace

Thanks to all for the patience and explanations. My purchase of tube amp is planned towards the end of July when I will have the money.

I gather the boards favorite is Scott 299 A/B. How about Jolida model JD 102B? It is listed for $580, how does it compare to the Scott?

Also I have the following questions on tube amps:

1) THD: I see that it is usually much higher than SS amplifiers, what is the significance of this?

2) S/N: for the above model of Jolida it is 70dB below rated output. Isn't 70dB quite low? What does "below rated output" signify?

3) Circuit Type: what is Ultra Linear? What other circuit types are there?

4) Cost of ownership: if I listened 2-3 hours per day, how much will this cost me in tubes replacement per year?

What is your opinion on hybrid amp? Are they worth it to consider?

Vladi,

Can't speak for the Jolida 102B. But I have a Jolida 202B now and a Scott 299A NOSValves Rebuild due in here Saturday. So, I will eventually compare the two and post my thoughts. The 299A uses different output tubes etc but I am very interested to see what happens. I like Rock, Jazz and alternative. Rock is the ultimate test in my book. I am concerned the Scott will not have the headroom of the 40WPC Jolida. Will see.

Mike

Craig,

You are starting to worry me. 2.gif

I have actually been wanting to send you the Eico for quite some time now; I'm sure you remember some of my PM's to you. It's just that at the time I had nothing else to power the Khorns and I can't go without my crack, I mean music, for too long or I start to get the jitters. Now that I have acquired these Mac units the time to go ahead and do that has probably arrived. Oh what the heck...how does all of this work anyhow? When you find something that needs replacing, assuming you do and you probably will, do you email me a list of options to choose from? I remember a post not too long ago about someone putting the Elna Cerafins in their unit instead of the typical Sprague Atoms. Go ahead and PM with your snail mail address and we can get this underway. I also have a few questions I want to ask you by PM which I will do so when I reply.

Thanks,

Ryan

----------------

On 4/24/2003 6:39:35 PM MBM135 wrote:

Vladi,

Can't speak for the Jolida 102B. But I have a Jolida 202B now and a Scott 299A NOSValves Rebuild due in here Saturday. So, I will eventually compare the two and post my thoughts. The 299A uses different output tubes etc but I am very interested to see what happens. I like Rock, Jazz and alternative. Rock is the ultimate test in my book. I am concerned the Scott will not have the headroom of the 40WPC Jolida. Will see.

Mike

----------------

I will be very interesting to find out how do they compare. Will you try to describe the Jolida 202B that you have now?

You bet! Actually I love it. I stepped up from a Harman/Kardon AVR 110 that I use for home theater--and will continue to.

I bought the Jolida based on the desire of a seperate 2 channel system utilizing my Forte IIs. I listen to a wide variety of music and noticed that with solid state my speakers sounded like toilet at anything approaching moderate to high volumes. My frend's cheap Cerwin Vega's and Sony SS amp sounded better. My rock CDs sounded tinny, bright and full of distortion. Jazz, alternative sounded fine. I hoped to solve this dilemma with tubes...

I went the Jolida route because I am not a "fix it guy" and didn't want to mess with vintage gear at first. Was a bit intimidated by it and wanted something I could plug and play. Since the Jolida was new it took a while, as the maufacturer states, for the sound to really open up. About 40 hours or so of play. Oh, I upgraded the tubes right off the bat to new Electro Harmonix EL34s and 12ATs and JAN Philips 12AX7s as opposed to the stock Jolida tubes made in China. Not "NOS" stuff but decent I guess for starters.

Now the amp sounds wonderful. The music is less fatiguing and open. I can listen to rock music for an hour and not get worn out. Couldn't do this with SS. The image is awesome--vocals seem to come from a point in between the speakers and I could swear Jewel was whispering in my ear the other night...

If I had to point to any subtle weakness I would say that the bass could be better. But, this is very recording-dependent. Fleetwood Mac's "Tusk" and Bob Seger's "Turn the Page" produce incredible bass--as does Creed's "My Sacrifice" and the Dire Straight's "Money for Nothing." But, U2's "Joshua Tree" CD and the the Gin Blossom's latest lack the bass response I was used to. Maybe "lack" is a bad word...perhaps different is more descriptive. The bass is more of "thump" that hangs for a bit instead of the "bam" that solid state produces. Laid back pieces from Diana Krall, Norah Jones and Miles Davis sound fantastic--almost like they are live.

But, the Klipsch forum die-hard-tube-guys swear by Scott, Eico and Dynaco. These guys are much more into this hobby than I am. So I am going to give the Scott 299 a whirl. Maybe these guys are on to something? I have heard the EL84 tubes produce better bass. If the Scott is better sounding than the Jolida I am in for something truly unreal--will be hard to believe. I guess a Jolida will be for sale...

Having done lots of homework I would love to someday upgrade to Dynaco Mark III monoblocks, Cary preamp, etc.

All I can say for sure is that I noticed a big improvement going to tubes. I can't tell much of a difference from one CD player to the next or from one solid amp to the next. But, tubes are here to stay in my system forever--regardless of what label is on the front. And, I was skeptical...one day away from buying all new Rotel SS amp/preamp. Glad I went "tubular" instead.

Best of luck!

Mike

Vladi,

The Decware Zen amp ($499.00 factory direct new)is the perfect match for the RF3's and believe me will play plenty loud. It's not the most beautiful amp but when teamed up with the RF3 plays beautiful music.

Decware offers a 30-day money back guarantee so nothing to loose. Replacement tubes are relatively cheap, unit is self biasing, simple and Decware service is great.

I've had the Zen for a year now and it's just great with the RF3's, 5's and 7's. Check out their site. I can not say enough good things about this amp.

http://www.decware.com/zpage1.htm

Doug C

Craig,

That new PS has a few hours on it now and it seems good to me. It's silent and no vibration at all. My original Eico PS is at their place being re-varnished now. It had been run with a bad rectifier tube and gotten hot. All the wax melted out of it and piled up on the bottom plate. THe new PS bolted in with no mods at all. Overall, the deal worked out well. I'm real interested in the results of the re-varnish, I've got a feeling it will work.

Tom

Craig, C37 electrolytic capacitor, 40-40-20ufd/350-350-400vdc. It's the 3 capacitor in one can job. I replaced every capacitor in the HF-81, with the exception of the caps in the phono section and figured, might as well replace this one too. I've just had no luck finding one. Thanks in advance.

Joe T

How and where can I audition a tube amp? I live in the San Francisco Bay Area, anyone with tube gear in this vicinity?

I know Decware have 30 day guarantee, but they also have 6.5% restocking fee, plus shipping both ways, and it adds up to approximately $150, which I am not willing to spend just to audition.

Any advise is appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Vladi

JJT,

The Multi section can your wanting you could use a JJ 4 section they make one that is 40/20/20/20 @500V just strap 2 20 sections together to make it 20/40/40 and your all set. You can get this from http://store.yahoo.com/triodeel/clammounandt.html make sure you order the clamp also to go with it.

You can also get one with the same spec as above only twist lock like original from triode also but it will set you back 3 times as much. You would have to strap 2 20 sections together with it too

http://store.yahoo.com/triodeel/twisel.html

Craig