I need speakers low on space

livingsacrifice

I just purchased a Pioneer VSX D411 Surround Sound AV Receiver and I am loving it already, I have never heard my cd's so detailed after hooking up the fiber optic cables. I currently only have it hooked up to two Wharfedale bookshelf speakers. I really would like to get a whole 5.1 surround setup, however I am very limited on space, so I was thinking about going with Klipsch Quintet surrounds/center and mount them to the wall. Would this be a good idea or is there something else I could get that would work in this situation? I have the Klipsch promedia speakers on my computer and I love how they sound. I am just trying to find something that I can buy cheap online yet sounds good and can fit into a smaller space situation such as this. Anyone got any suggestions?

Thanks

The size of the room is about 9'7" square. However I have so much stuff in the room I only really have space for a center channel on top of the entertainment center and maybe 2 bookshelfs, the rear surrounds would have to be mounted on the wall because of the lack of space for them. My budget is, well if anything I'd like to buy some online to save some money, most likely Ebay. I'll probably spend about 300-400 on the set, maybe a little more.

livingsacrifice,

You may want to consider using Klipsch's Synergy Series. Their SB-1's and companion SC.5 Center would work well for the fronts. You could find these on the used market in prices within your budget. Then try and locate a pair of SS.5 Synergy Surround speakers. The only other option would be a used Quintet setup.

It will be a bit of a challenge to get a entire Klipsch setup at one time within that price range. You could initially start with L/R Fronts and a Center. Then add the rears as additional funds become available.

Well, I'm only saying that because you can buy a whole (center and surrounds) setup of the Quintets for like 250-300 ebay, just wondering if this is a good set or not. I know the pc speakers get very loud and sound great without distorting I'm just wanting to know if these are the same way. What faults do these speakers have compared to larger ones? Just less midrange area or something?

Sorry, I was thinking with a subwoofer, but didn't address it though. The Quintets are good when used in small rooms. But a subwoofer is a definite requirement, because the Quintets low frequency cutoff is 100Hz. They alone are not adequate to reproduce LFE and Low Bass signals. Even the SB-1's are limited to a 60Hz cutoff. A subwoofer is a much needed item to reproduce Low Bass and LFE content in many of the music and movie discs.

If you can get Quintets and a good sub within your budgeted amount, then that's great. However, in my mind the Synergy Series will benefit you more in the long run, especially if you get a larger room in the future. Anyway, don't overlook the need for a good subwoofer regardless of the speakers you select.

Yeah I was still planning on getting a subwoofer, but only after I get these. Wow, 100hz cutoff.. that doesnt produce any lows at all. I wouldn't be able to live with that. I am very much into car audio and it bugs me to death if it doesn't sound perfect in my car, I'd know that I would be the same way with home audio if that happened.

If you're gonna continue to use your Wharfedale bookshelf's, I'd suggest you try to at least find the matching center off ebay or ubid.com. Nothing in the Klipsch line will properly mate with what you have. Surround matching is less critical but that doesn't mean it's not important. Quintet's would work here if you're tight on space but I'd still prefer something from the same line of speakers as my front three speakers.

----------------

On 4/25/2003 9:51:26 AM livingsacrifice wrote:

I dunno, I do like the sound of the Wharfedale's, maybe it would be best to keep them for music. Why do you say no center channel would match with those?

----------------

I said don't use a Klipsch center channel if you're using the Wharfedale bookshelf(unless you plan to change them to something Klipsch) because it won't be timbre matched.

What is timbre matching? I'm glad you asked...

Timbre Matching:

This is the term used to describe a set of speakers that are sonically matched to eachother. This is very important to ensure that you get the same "type of sound" out of every speaker. Imagine a motorcycle in your left speaker...as it moves towards the center the sound starts changing...by the time it gets to your center speaker the motorcycle now sounds like a moped! That's not good HT. Ensuring that your speakers are timbre-matched will ensure a good sonic imagine throughout your room. Many companies now offer HT speaker packages with similar drivers in them...those will definitely be timbre matched.

This is from HTF's newcomer primer.

Alright. I took a look at a the Wharfedale home theater model that they have, it looks really cheap, and they don't look that nice. I think I'm gonna sell the Wharfedale's now and go all Klipsch. I got another question for you, are there any Klipsch bookshelf speakers that I could get for the 2 front speakers that would match a Klipsch center channel and my 2 rear surrounds would be Quintets. I'm only saying this because whenever I listen to music I would be able to listen through my 2 front channels and it would still sound great without a sub. Any suggestions?

----------------

On 4/25/2003 10:16:36 PM livingsacrifice wrote:

.... are there any Klipsch bookshelf speakers that I could get for the 2 front speakers that would match a Klipsch center channel and my 2 rear surrounds would be Quintets.... Any suggestions?

----------------

Is the initial $300-400 range still your targeted expenditure?

I am a klipsch fan but I noticed since the mirage Omnisat series came out, people are selling their Mirage AVS 5.1 system for awesome prices on ebay. Make sure all the following speakers are included in the package though (they usually are):

-AVS 100 (center): 2 way/90hz-20khz

1" dome tweet

two 3 1/2" woofers

-AVS 200 (Satellites): Same as AVS 100 but with one woofer

-frx-s8 subwoofer: 8" forward firing/100 watts continuous, 400 watts peak

29hz-100hz

This usually sells on ebay within your price range. I don't know how much experience you have with ebay, but make sure the seller has a good feedback history and everything should work out fine. I inherited my brother's Klipsch system and couldn't be happier. But if you want something for both music and movies at a great price, I actually like this Mirage AVS system over the quintets with the KSW-10. Bye

Kara

Used Synergy Series Bookshelfs and a companion center speaker is your best options. They are: SB-3's w/lows to 52Hz, SB-2's w/lows to 54HZ, and the previously mentioned SB-1's. None of these are recommended by Klipsch as best match to Quintets. Qunitets are really better matched to themselves. There are those who have tried them with Reference Series 3 speakers. I have no first hand knowledge as to how such a system sounds.

I feel if you want an affordable Klipsch Bookshelf System, the Synergy Series Bookshelfs with a matching center is the way to begin. A bit more dollars, but far more benefits in the long run. You will certainly have timbre and tone matched fronts! You can add a sub and matching rears as dollars become available. BTW an SC-1 is the matching center for SB-3's and SB-2's.

If you want to save even more money, you could look to ebay or ubid for the older KSB bookshelves, the models are the KSB3.1, 2.1, and 1.1. The matching center is the KSC-C1 and the matching surround is the KSB-S1 but any of the bookshelfs would do fine as surrounds as well. These bookshelfs are front ported so you can put them smack up against the wall for surround use if you had to.

My brother used to have KSB3.1's as his mains and I thought they were very impressive. We lined the inside walls with polyfill and it made the midrange butter smooth. It was a very dramatic change, I suggest people try it out.

here's the thing - if u buy small, u end up looking for an upgrade sooner than you'd like and that would most probably mean lost and wasted money. why dont u do this...

save your money and get a good upper level synergy series system or even entry level reference system. save your money for 3,6, or even 12 months and buy a system ur willing to own for the next 5 or even 10 years. do not make space constraints unless u know for sure that where u live now is the same place u will be living for the next 10 years.

My motto:

Buy for the next 5 years.

It still ends up coming back to the space issue. I tried looking for those mirage speakers, it looks like they only have a center channel on ebay of that set right now. They look pretty small, probably would work if I could find some. My range is still like 300-400 I just would think it would be best to have bookshelves as my front speakers. Something really tiny that could fit on the wall for a surround. The center channel, doesn't matter on the size as long as it fits with the bookshelves. Then a sub, probably 8" if I could find room for it somewhere. What's some other good companys for the price?

im being serious so dont think im being sarcastic..

y not just go for a multimedia system... that way u get a subwoofer with it (and a sub that puts out better bass than most other $100-$200 subs by sony or tivoli). take for example, the logitech 680... it puts out better sound than most home theater in a box deals ($280). also, dont forget the klipsch 5.1 ($350) - those things put out good music.