Audtioning Speakers,List your fave CD for demo's

netnut

Top Gun? c'mon. If you can take an array of cd's. Take something more modern as the newer cd's have a way better recording. Some of my favs: 311-Transistor, Loreena McKennitt-The Visit, Enya-Watermark, Rage Against the Machine-Self Titled, Sting-Greatest Hits, and for good measure take some Jazz, Big Band, or any orchestral pieces to get a good taste of the Klipsch horns.

Happy hunting.

For reference (audition) material, use any software that you are familiar with and have heard in a variety of environments. For audio, here is my list off the top of my head:

Rock/pop-

Sloan "Twice Removed"

Joni Mitchell "Shadows and Light"

Flaming Lips "Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots"

Donna the Buffalo "Positive Friction"

Any Bjork

Peter Gabriel "Passion"

Jazz/Legit-

Paul Motian Trio "Live in Tokyo"

Miles Davis "Kind of Blue"

Carl Orff "Carmina Burana" (Shaw/Atlanta recording)

Fredonia Jazz Ensemble "Trash the Place"

Charlie Haden "Haunted Heart"

Jan Garbarek "Places"

Jarrett/Garbarek "Belonging"

A variety of musical and production/mastering styles were used throughout this list. If everything sound good without making electronic adjustments, I know my room is set up right. In your case, if everything is to your liking with MINIMAL EQ adjustments, then you'll probably like the speaks when you get them home, if your room is reasonably suited to audio. As far as HT goes, I have no suggestions, really. My priority is skewed towards audio, if my HT doesn't bug me, then it's good enough (for now - my Heritage HT wheels are turning) Good luck in your search.

The Best of The Doors. Play "The End".

Whenever I show off my speakers to anyone whether it's my Forte ll"s or my RF-7's I always tell them to sit down in the sweet spot and close their eyes. Then I play that song. I don't play it too loudly. They almost always say "Oh my God, it sounds like the band is in the room!"

That's why I bought my first set of Klipsch speakers years ago and why I'll always have at least one pair.1.gif

One thing I always bring is Mannheim Steamroller's Fresh Aire III. It is the most dynamic of any other CD I have, & has just about every kind of sound on it to push speakers to the end, from quiet, symphonic passes, to hard bass, to nature sounds, & there is even a toy piano.

Very few speakers re-produce properly under this kind of torture.

I found that the Blues Brothers 2000 soundtrack is fantastic.

Aretha Franklin, Wilson Picket, Erykah Baduh, BBKing, Johny Lang, Blues Traveler.

Its has everything and one song there with a carribean steel drums.

Just Fantastic!!!!

Emilio

When checking out speakers I take along the following CD's:

Kirk Whalum - For You (has deep bass notes and good instrumentals)

ForePlay - Elixir (smooth play and an excellent vocal track with Phil Collins titled " Why Can't It Wait Till Morning")

Stanley Turrentine - Hustlin' (great tenor sax by Stan, fine organ by Shirley Scott & superb strings by Kenny Burrell)

To check tweeters and mid driver operation on used speakers, I follow Qman's advice; listen at low volume with ear up close to each driver to ensure they are operational. Loud volumes can mask a failed driver.