Dampening Bass Bin of Belles, La Scalas etc.......

Cut-Throat

I have built a number of conventional speakers and have used a product called Black Hole 5 to dampen the inside of the cabinet.

There is usally some dampening material inside all of the cabinets of Conventional Speakers. I was wondering if anyone has ever tried any dampening in the Bass Bin of Klispch Speakers. If so how did it change the sound if at all.

It would be fairly expensive to line the entire Bass Bin of my Klipsch Belles with Black Hole 5 - So I'm not going to experiment here.3.gif

Best thing you can do to damp vibrations in basshorns is to add braces. Look at a picture of a Shearer Horn or a Peavey FH-1 to see what I mean. You sure as Hell don't want to stuff the horn flare itself and stuffing material into the compression chamber will change the performence.

Look at the pictures of these LS on Ebay

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=14980&item=3019459149.

I did this to mine and it made a world of difference in the bass. If you cut the wedges to the exact angle, you can just put them in place and tap them with a rubber hammer. Friction will hold them in place. I spit one out occationaly but only under high listening levels.

Jim N

TBrennan,

Well I certainly was not talking about stuffing either the Mid or Tweeter Horns, I was just asking if someone damped the chamber of the bass bin.

I guess it would change the performance of the Bass! I was just wondering if someone had tried it, and if the change was for the better. It certainly improves the performance of a conventional speaker. And I'm guessing if that you have not tried it, you would not know.

You don't want to alter the volume of air space in the compression chamber where the woofer is mounted as it will certainly adversely affect performance. If anything open the bottom hatch and tighten all the screws inside and tighten the ones on the woofer as well. Otherwise it is best left alone. If dampening would have further improved performance I think PWK would have already done it.

Cut Throat----I was picturing you stuffing the flare of the basshorn, I've heard of audiophiles doing stranger things. :-) But I think we're talking of 2 different things; I presumed you wanted to damp the vibrations of the basshorn walls, this is best done with braces.

If you want to damp the diaphragm movement itself don't worry about it. The driver is highly damped already by the loading of the air in the horn against the cone. That's one reason horns sound so good, the diaphragms are very well damped and not prone to ringing. Note how direct-radiating aluminum and titanium tweeters exhibit huge resonances above 20khz. Yet aluminum and titanium diaphragm compression drivers on horns don't exhibit this flare at all, the horn load damps it.

Frzninvt,

If anything open the bottom hatch and tighten all the screws inside and tighten the ones on the woofer as well. Otherwise it is best left alone. If dampening would have further improved performance I think PWK would have already done it.

Well, since I just completely refinished my Belles, I replaced all of the Wiring and all of the screws and made sure they were all very tight when I put them back together.

As far as PWK already have done it - Doesn't this fly in the face of Tweaking? 9.gif

CUT THROAT : My approach is likly way more raticial than any here are willing to try ( and i would not do it to a belle ) my lascalas are in the midst of an extensive mod so i can't give you exact results right now but i'll be sure to post pic's and results as soon as they are finished.

We talked about this on another thread if you remember. Heres what i've done so far.

I put the lascala on a table saw and cut off the headsection just above the bass bin. Then i stripped the finish off the sides and strapped the sides and top with another sheet of 3/4 inch baltic birch. Useing industrial strength wood glue and countersunk screws.

Next step was to build new headsection that match the belle and or k-horn and install my ALTEC 511B horns.

Right now i'm in the refinishing stages and will post pic's when i'm finished. This is " NOT " normal DIY kind of project , I've got access to a complete cabinet making shop plus a $100,000.00 down draft paint booth for the final finish.

I'm expecting the extra 3/4 on each side of the bass bin will help out. If i'm wrong then i just f@ucked up a fully functional pair of lascalas .

But i was told by many that i was out of my mind when i ripped apart my k-horn's but now there the envy of every person who see's them.

We'll have to wait and see who's right and wrong on this project.

Cheers : DALE